BootsnAll Travel Network



Mañana

antigua-058.jpgdefinition: morning, tomorrow but in Guatemalan time you are never sure if mañana is really mañana or some other mañana. My neighbour has a friend who is supposedly the friend of the owner of a local chicken bus company and last Friday he said he would set up a meeting for me mañana, still waiting but down here that is the way things work / I am sure mañana will arrive, maybe even mañana.

Took the bus to Escuintla then on to Palin yesterday, found the importer but the market for buses has softened so he was not buying, however ran into a guy who was interested, well, might be,  maybe,  probably. Got to see some interesting country and amazing how the temps change from warm to hot in a half hour bus ride down the volcano then drop again on the way up the other side. Met my teacher’s uncle who owns a private school in Palin, checked out the town & had lunch at the market, good lunch for 2 only 38Q ($3.75). Took a long walk through Escuintla on the way back & never saw a tourist all day. The more I see of this area the better it looks.

So the bus deal is in a holding pattern waiting a couple people to check around & get back to me, when?        Mañana!!

One good thing did come out of the day (never a dull day in Guatemala) as during our conversations it came out that my teacher is opening his own school after Semana Santa, one we are at is lacking a bit on the management side (owner has too many projects). Bottom line is after hearing my experiences and qualifications he offered me a job teaching English as a second language to Spanish students. Upon reflection that would be the perfect way to keep out of trouble here for a few hrs a week while meeting new interesting people and making a couple Q on the side.

Would be a really great way to be the perpetual Spanish student, living in a climate of perpetual spring while teaching English to pay for it. What more could any one ask of life!



Tags:

5 responses to “Mañana”

  1. Oncearound says:

    think I’ll post a comment mañana…. lol
    Happy Trails,
    🙂

  2. bellagio says:

    Sounds a very interesting life you are leading. School teacher eh? Things are looking up, it would be great if it could happen. Sounds like an a great day you spent, far better than sitting behind this damn computer in the UK looking for a cheap deal to get to Cuba.

  3. pinamimi says:

    wow…..Dave i love those buses!!!!!!! you’re right in your element lol……very very good ideal…teach english learn spanish make money….Spring is a beautiful time of year…..having that all the time must be Nirvana…the birds must be chirping all day long…i love birds…what kind of birds are there?

  4. Dave says:

    Spring from May-Oct has a couple hrs of rain daily while the Nov-Apr spring has almost nada rain & some illegal immigrant birds from Canada diont the bird poo thing LOL

  5. bellagio says:

    Great photo Dave!!