BootsnAll Travel Network



Laos better than T’land me thinks

Must say the border crossing into Laos rates right up there with the most disorganized cluster flucks there is but eventually get through it after paying US$. No clue why Canadians have the privilege of paying the highest visa fees US$42.00 when US citizens only pay US$35.00 and get this Cubans along with the Chinese & 1 other country only get hit for 20.00 US$!

The Thailand guest house completely screwed up the reservations for the 1st night in Laos, something that doesn’t leave one with fond memories with a country one wasn’t particularly impressed with anyway, but the Laotians managed to sort it out.

Highly recommend the 2 day slow boat trip to Luang Prabang but to get the best of it don’t sit up front in the comfy seats but on the  back benches & floor with the fun back packers & local people. Speaking of which did run into a group of Thai ladies who were great helping me find a guest house which just goes to show that back packers are the exception  to the rules as Swiss, South African & Brit girls were also helpful in giving me a hand with luggage on the mountain goat stairs (with no railings) leading from shore up the hill to town.

So far so good, Laos is pretty cool! Confirm that!! More my type of country!!!

A day of touring with the ladies from Bangkok that I met on the slow boat yesterday went to the museum & a couple temples in Luang Prabang then out to the waterfall nearby which was kind of neat as it’s a fair-sized fall with a bunch of cascades downstream which you see in reverse walking up the trail. Met a few of the people from the boat there also which was nice.



Tags:

5 responses to “Laos better than T’land me thinks”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    wow…sounds really nice…i’ll have to check out your photos….you’re quite the ladies man!
    mountain goat stairs..yikes!!

  2. Dave says:

    You will have to wait for pics as can’t download from here for some reason but I can’t help it if I can relate to 20 something female travelers better tann others!!

  3. Skip Hunt says:

    Hi,

    I’ve been to Thailand twice, Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam. My personal fav was Vietnam, but never made it to Myanmar. How does Myanmar compare with Laos? Are costs about the same?

  4. Dave says:

    Costs for a nice guest house in Myanmar are between that of Thailand & Laos ($8.00 US/day with fan) food about the same. The people are poorer than Laos but super friendly.

    Vietnam is next after the 4000 islands in Laos then back to southern Thailand via Cambodia.

  5. Skip Hunt says:

    Excellent. Thanks for the info!