BootsnAll Travel Network



It never fails!!

So the place you were looking forward to seeing turns out to totally suck & has absolutely no redeeming values. Welcome to Darwin the a$$hole of Australia (IMHO), others opinions may differ.

From what I have seen Darwin is just a rip-off tourist trap with surly inhabitants, including the Greyhound driver (the only not nice bus driver I have encountered) & the food prices  are outrageous, $16.00 for the same breakfast that was $11.00 (overpriced at that) on the road yesterday. NO hop-on-off bus & the only 1/2 day city tour offered sucks unless you are into museums & art galleries. It’s also HOT & HUMID but worse than Bangkok  at the same temps & a whole herd of tourists that for some strange reason seem to like it.

Oh well have booked the 07:15 Dog out in the morning, had to book at a travel agent because it’s office is closed on weekends, only in OZ eh! Speaking of booking the hostels here refuse to book ahead for, neither would the agent that issued my bus ticket. Seems getting the most amount of money for the least amount of effort is the rule in Darwin, Damn I miss SE Asia where they know how to treat people without over charging (except in major tourist areas & then within reason).

In light of the Darwin experience I have had a slight plan change, so shall stick to the outback for a bit. A day in Kununurra, where the Sultan of Brunei has his cattle station, over to Broome for a day then back track through Katherine to Tennant Creek  where will take another days break as bus to Mount Isa only goes every second day then on to Townsville on the tourist coast.

Depending on how many stops I then have left on my pass & the touron level, think it will be a quick trip down the coast to Sydney to catch the Indian Pacific back to Adelaide, The Overlander to Melbourne where depending on weather in Tasmania & cost of getting there it will either be there or on to NZ.



Tags:

Comments are closed.