BootsnAll Travel Network



Interlude in Bangkok

With the Checker sold, mother’s affairs wrapped up (hopefully) & income tax filed  (some rebates due), a friend drove me to Pearson 01:40 flight on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, with a connection that arrived in Bangkok at 10:35 a day later.

Same price would have gotten me a flight on AeroSvit with a mid afternoon departure, transiting through Kiev but arriving BKK at 03:00.

Think I made the right choice as I not only saved an extra night in a motel but Cathy Pacific’s service was excellent with 2 free meals + 2 snacks of better than normal airline food. Also there was no issue with a one way ticket, either with CX or Thai immigration.

Flew with carryon only which made for hassle free check in, security clearance & leaving the airport. Immigration line  was long, especially as it is low season but only took about 1/2 an hour.

Rail link to the BTS is an amazing, cheap & quick way into town with very few travelers using it. Guess most prefer paying a fortune to taxis & limos to sit in traffic & sniff exhaust fumes! Personally I liked the idea of a few minutes into the city center then a change to the BTS, 5 stops later arriving at the Nana station right on Sukhumvit in the heart of things, Nana Recreation Complex 10 minutes one way & Soi Cowboy 10 minutes the other.

Of course the area is touristy & expensive but for 3 or 4 days a great reintroduction to the delights of Bangkok, the most amazing city in the world! IMHO

Spent the remainder of Wednesday resting from the flight. Thursday went to the tailors, ordered 5 shirts + 1 pants for 6000 Baht (a tad less than $200), fitting today & will be ready Saturday at 5pm. How’s that for price & service!

Out for a few beer with a TEFL classmate last night at Nana & tonight with another to Soi Cowboy, recuperate tomorrow then catch a bus to Phnom Penh Sunday.

Bangkok just gets better & better with each visit, this one makes 6 along with 2 months living here, almost a second home LOL 🙂



Tags:

Comments are closed.