BootsnAll Travel Network



Indian Pacific

This has to be the best train so far, super comfortable seats, loads of legroom (only 48 passengers per car & quiet. First leg to Kalgoorlie arrived 15 minutes early.

First part the country was pretty rough then it flattened out into a plain with lots of farms growing grain & a few sheep. Stopped at Kalgoorlie, a gold mining town where we were offered a short but interesting 1 1/2 hr tour that took in the open pit mine.

Next morning woke up to flat scrub land which later gave way to only sagebrush type vegetation with no trees or bushes. We had 1/2 hr to investigate the, nearly ghost town of Cook, only a few railway employees left there, which is just over the 1/2 way point between Perth & Adelaide.

Later on in the day we had a bit of excitement & free entertainment from a lady that apparently was off her meds & was hooting & hollering at other passengers, she apparently had a dislike for the few Asian travelers aboard, so the crew found other seats for those in the car that wanted. She eventually fell asleep & was removed from the train by police when we arrived at a larger town 5 hrs later.

07:30 on the third day we arrived in Adelaide to sweater wearing temps, it’s late fall here in South Australia & a 1 1/2 hr time difference from Perth, later warmed up to a nice fall day. Checked out the city on the free bus yesterday & taking a tour of the surrounding countryside today before catching the Ghan to Alice Springs tomorrow afternoon.



Tags:

2 responses to “Indian Pacific”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    lol never a dull moment for the Busman!
    nice to hear you’re enjoying yourself on trains too lol..
    any cool chicken buses in OZ?

  2. Dave says:

    OZ is the US of the southern hemisphere, ain’t no chicken buses here but Canadian tour bus drivers could take some courtesy lessons from their Australian counterparts who have to be the best in the world!