BootsnAll Travel Network



Iceland

After 6 1/2 hrs of flying time which took all day + a 4 hr time change finally landed in Reykjavik at 0:29 yesterday, was tired so took a cab from airport instead of the bus but since it’s 49 km to the city it wasn’t cheap but guess they have to pay for those new KIA vans some way. From my travels so far think KIA might be a good company to invest in.

Big cultural events in town this weekend so couldn’t get a room at the “Reykjavik City Hostel”, www.hostel.is which is a really cool place right in front of the city campground with great staff who found me a room at one of the only 2 places registered with the tourist board that had beds, so moved for the night, back to the hostel tomorrow (1/3 the price).

Decided to walk the couple km’s to see a bit of the town, 4 months of butt sitting sure puts you out of shape, but made it, helped that the weather was cool & i bit of a drizzle so got to test out my Guatemalan wool jacket which preformed as expected, with it + a sweater should be good for any fall type  weather.

Haven’t seen much as the 4 hour time difference along with the 03:45 wake up call yesterday morn & sitting around airports all day meant I wasn’t all that ambitious so rested, logged my expenses before I forgot them & caught up on doscentavos that was pretty well enough for the day.

From what I have seen so far it’s a nice small city with nice folks & a laid back attitude, lots of empty commercial space though so recession is far from over. So with the deal you can get with Iceland Air from the US & Canada to London with the free stop over up to a week if you have the time it would be helping the country as well as giving you a nice break to take advantage of it especially since language isn’t a problem as most know at least a bit of English.

Have found a couple bus tours I want to do including the one to “the rift” where the American & Eurasian continental plates meet & they say you can stand with one foot on each, then there is a highland one & of course the Blue Lagoon.

Pizza place next door that looks pretty good so think will go check it out. BTW  Iceland Krona here  1000 = about $8.50, 2 take out beer + a Pepsi cost a tad over 1400 Krona, only place worse was Costa Rica where a beer was 1000 Colon’s, hey Guatemala is great where 100 Q = $8.50. Almost forgot the trivia for today Reykjavik is the worlds northernmost capital.



Tags:

6 responses to “Iceland”

  1. topturner says:

    Good to hear youve made it across the pond to Europe ok . Iceland has always been mega expensive and this recession has left the government there all but bankrupt from what i’ve read, so i thought prices may have come down a tad.
    Hope you’re back ‘in shape’ for the UK…lol..

  2. Dave says:

    Well I guess technically still on the North American plate, have to go to Rift valley & step over but flying 5 hrs is pretty much accross the pond only Thurs I head east to Greenland & further away again.

    Think prices have come down a tad but although I left on the first day of reduced airfares it is still pretty much still high season here with almost no rooms last night & no hostel rooms again tomorrow or Tues so ir’s back to the B & B for the rest of my time here as not going to bother comming back here for the last night too much agrevation having to deal with luggage all day.

    Should be close to normal by the time I hit Birmingham just as long as you haven’t found any of those monster Polish glasses LOL

  3. OntarioTraveller says:

    Great to hear about your adventures and your comments of everyday happenings, which add a nice touch. Those little things can drive you crazy. What is the saying? “Look after the little things and the big things become small.” England is special but the continent is so diverse. Look forward to your comments re the Rhine and Switzerland. Keep safe.

  4. Dave says:

    Thanks but will have to wait a year for Germany & Switzerland as covering that area next fall just doing the north of Europe this year then SE Asia etc—–Off in a bit tothe Blue Lagoon

  5. pinamimi says:

    lol…..you need the heat this winter don’t ya lol…don’t blame you!
    can’t wait to hear all about Birmingham and your adventures with TT lol
    take care
    love the blog!

  6. Dave says:

    Lots of heat at the Blue Lagoon!! Agua del Mere Caliente y beaucoup des femmes chaud!