BootsnAll Travel Network



Home again—-

antigua-053.jpg40 years after leaving home in Les Cantons de L’est in Quebec I have finally found a place to call home & that is Antigua Guatemala.

Have been to Atlantic Canada & while that is a nice place to visit I wouldn’t want to live there, the prairies are too flat, BC too wet, Alberta has only two seasons, winter & Stampede week & though I spent 32 years raising a family & running a business in Ontario I could never think of it as home.

Returning to Antigua after a 3 month absence, sitting in Parque Central looking out at the 3 volcanoes seeing the odd puff of smoke coming from Fuego, watching the world famous fountains water sparkling in the sunlight as it goes through the various levels to the lower pool, saying Hola to friends made last fall, listening to the horses hooves & carriage wheels clattering on the cobble stone calles was just as I remembered it. The smiling waitress’s serving Cafe con leche at El Portal coffee shop (the best any where), the Thursday ex-pat breakfast at the Condesa Restaurant answering questions about my trip from new acquaintances & old friends was a great homecoming. Walking around town dodging the tuk-tuks while crossing the streets, seeing the mujers washing clothes at the pila in the little park & watching the chicken buses pulling away from the market square for all points in Guatemala was so natural it seemed like I had done it all my life. There were a couple changes, the paint job on La Merced church is finished & makes it look just wonderful & it’s high season for tourists so there is a lot of new people to meet. 

All I can say is it’s good to be home again even if it’s only for two short months.



Tags:

Comments are closed.