BootsnAll Travel Network



Hola from Flores

Forgot to mention in my last post that the two most important words to know in Mexico are “no gracias”.

Caye Caulker is a bit of Paradise a 45 min water taxi ride from Belize City, wouldn’t know you were in the same country if it wasn’t for the licence plates on the golf carts. Permanent population of 1400 lucky souls it’s really laid back & friendly (I think if you don’t say good day to 3 people in a row they kick you off the island lol). Has accommodations from $8 back packer hostel to $200 mucky muck hotels. Got a real nice Chinese owned hotel AC, TV, sitting area & hot water shower for $40 US/day. Island is just a bit shabby but that just lends character to it. A definite  must see on any travellers list. IMHO.

As for the rest of Belize that I saw, (friendly people & clean hotel rooms) the route from Chetumal to Belize City & on to Belmopan & San Ignacio, Well just picture I94 in Detroit then set it in the middle of a big ole swamp & you have the route I took in, going out we hit the hills near Belmopan but the country was no cleaner & still a lack of paint.

Seems amazing that the poorer areas of Mexico & Guatemala bordering on Belize can be kept looking nice while it can’t be bothered. Just my personal opinion from what I observed.

Guatemala so far is great & am enjoying Flores, off to Antigua on the night bus.



Tags:

Comments are closed.