BootsnAll Travel Network



Guatemala

Three countries + 3 border crossings are now history & there is light at the end of the tunnel & I am pretty sure it’s not a dirty big ole train.

Made it out of Mexico without incident, spent the night at a great hotel only costing 250Q & now it was decision time. Do I take the low road along the coast straight to El Salvador or the high road to Antigua then to El Salvador via Esculinta?????

Kind of a no brainer as I love & have friends in Antigua so not knowing just how steep the mountains were we, Ferddy (the Ford), (you must remember that I had been on the road for the best part of a month in a vehicle with NO radio or A/C & had just lost Tommy lack of maps so only had Ferddy to talk to) committed ourselves to the high road via San Marcos, Xela etc.

The first indication that the high road decision may not have been the most prudent was having to stop 3 times to keep Ferddy from overheating on one, seemingly, never ending hill going into San Marcos. Once in the city we only got lost 3 times before finally making it out of town, same with Xela (might of only gotten lost twice there).

Couldn’t make the approximately 250 km journey before dark so spent one last night on the road before making Antigua where I renewed old acquaintances & spent another night before attending the ex-pat breakfast & spent a couple hours with my old Spanish teacher.

Only got lost a couple times in Esculinta & made it to the Salvadorian border in about 4 hours.

To drive in Guatemala one needs to be a completely insane Montreal taxi driver, by this time I fit the bill perfectly!!! Also have to be a mind reader as road signs are lacking at critical points. However must say “It was an EXPERIENCE!!!!!



Tags:

Comments are closed.