BootsnAll Travel Network



Guardian Angels & Great Kids

So the busman arrives in Beijing after a 48 hr train ride on the piece of crap Bombardier built train from Lhasa at 08:30 (rush hour on a Monday morning) with no hotel reservation. As warned, practically no one in Beijing speaks English, not the hotel info guys or the couple girls touting rooms) so he carries on to the monster line waiting on taxi’s.

After a bit in the queue he realises the folly of that approach as the chance of getting a driver that understands English is virtually nil. So he starts back tracking while thinking which plan “B” might-be best, as he stops to adjust his bags a young Chinese stops to offer assistance, he speaks no English but in a bit his friend who speaks very good English appears & when she is informed of the problem, takes charge asking what I want to do while in town & the price I want to pay for a room.

She then decides on a hotel that fits the bill with a central location & the 2 of them proceed to guide me to a place where a taxi can be flagged down, now this is rush hour with the temp hoovering around zero so they aren’t readily available but eventually, a couple blocks away from the station we have success.

Now these two kids have spent approximately 1/2 hr helping me & absolutely refuse any tip for doing so. Kind of restores one’s faith in humanity!!

The hotel turned out to be a Novetel & in the mid range price that I had asked for. Actually a bit more than I wanted to pay but prices in Beijing are up there & after the last couple weeks I deserve a bit of pampering + when finished with China I will be crashing on a beach some where in the Philippines for the 3 weeks allowed on a visa & saving the money I am spending here.

So once again have proven that having a bit of faith in destiny pays off  & as my Nepalese guide said “no hurry, no worry, have some more chicken curry” LOL



Tags:

10 responses to “Guardian Angels & Great Kids”

  1. Radster says:

    Tell us more about that train ride, why do you call it a piece of shit? hehehe I need to know, because I was planning on taking it next spring, but now I might change my plans as a result. Thanks!

  2. Pinamimi says:

    WOW!!! great story Dave!!!!!
    there are nice people out there!!!! good to hear!!
    you deserve that R&R…so do i!!! LOL

  3. Dave says:

    Nothing wrong with the trip just the little things about the cars themselves like the bunks are too big making sitting on them (which you do more than sleeping) a pain & the aisle windows are too low as if you are over 5 ft tall you can’t see out of them, toilets are cramped & hot water is constantly all over the floor as there is no drain (except the floor.

    No wonder Bombardier had to be rescued by the tax-payers when they can take a train car that has been working on the Trans-Siberian for years & screw it up so bad! Canadian Eh!!!!

  4. Dave says:

    There’s good kids every where even if few & far between in Canada.

  5. macdon says:

    Sounds good Dave!!!! Something tells me you are really anxious for that R & R in the Phillipines….enjoy!!!

  6. Dave says:

    Oh Yeah but one more day in Beijing as can’t get a flight out until tomorrow aft so another day avoiding the scam artists but think I might just buy that $10.00 Rolex LOL

  7. Pinamimi says:

    lol….10 bucks for a rolex that’s a steal!! lol..in NYC it’s 50 bucks!!
    does it say rolex or rorex lol jkjk…
    haven’t heard those words in a while R&R….would love to try it soon..lol

  8. macdon says:

    Pinamimi – I am anxiously awaiting to hear how it has been for you to go back to work!!!! lol!!! Do you recommend it????

  9. Dave says:

    Of course when I was looking today the guy wasn’t around, probably best as who wants to get mugged for a fake Rolex? LOL

  10. Pinamimi says:

    lol Macdon….it’s okay….i enjoy the part-time work :)…im not sure about full time :S