BootsnAll Travel Network



Greenland cont’d

Just calculated Iceland costs & my lodging costs in Iceland were about 40% cheaper than the cheap Toronto airport hotel while food was 10% less so the myth about Iceland being super expensive is busted!!

It will be a few days before I can post this but am writing while the day is fresh in my mind (gotta love my ACER). They do things a bit different (read that as a LOT).

Air Greenland owns 1 Air Bus 310, 1 Boeing 757, 6 Dash 7’s, 2 Twin Otter’s, 1 s**t can’t remember now but along the line of the Otter’s & 16 helicopters of different breeds which are kept busy as there are only roads in the towns so the only way to travel is by water or air. The first encounter with their different ways was the no customs or immigration thing on landing in Nuuk. Now today when leaving, Gee didn’t have to take shows off as there was absolutely NO, NADA security check, they just call the flight then you walk across the tarmac & onto the plane. Flash-back in time or what!

The 3 hr flight turned out to be more like 2 1/2 hrs with 2 stops along the way, 1 where you have to deplane so they can top up the fuel & the other just a quick stop 10 min out of Ilulissat. A beautiful sunny day with good visibility but not much to see except rocky land, water & glaciers until we got near Disco Bay which is swarming with icebergs, now if like me you have only seen them on TV, man you ain’t seen NOTHING!!! Impressive from the air it’s not until you land & see how huge they really are that you finally realize how the Titanic never stood a chance. Words can’t do justice to the sight, kind of makes the trip worthwhile & that’s just a tease as will be going on a tour of them in a couple days.

www.ilulissatn.com is a mom & pop operation run by Silver an ex-pat Italian musician who came here 28 yrs ago for a 3 month gig, fell in love with a local girl & never left. In talking with him it seems he faces similar governmental BS from the Danes as any small business person faces here in Canada in that they have the same bigger is better syndrome, want to pay next to nothing for your business then tax what you have left away from you.

That said he does offer some really good tours, like the one yesterday that takes you through the the Ilulissat Icefijord in Disko Bay, absolutely awesome, to the fishing village of Ilimanaq pop 87 where we had lunch including a soup with whale meat at the local postmaster’s even saw a couple whales out in the bay from the dining room window. Would rather give my money to a local small business man than some big Danish or international corporation.

So far I have found everything in Greenland to be insanely expensive like $10-11 for a beer, $5.50 for a coke at the Nuuk airport but imagine that prices would be similar in Frobisher Bay so it’s just a fact of life in the north. My costs here may be a touch higher than necessary but if I am going to pay outrageous prices I am not going to stay in a dump. According to Silver a new Toyota 15 passenger van is around $60’000 & a snowmobile $20,000, prices in US$.

Did the evening Icefiford tour last night in a smaller boat where you get up close & personal with the icebergs phenomenal, the captain stopped the boat in the middle of the tour & brought out the thermos of coffee no breeze with the bay like glass & not a sound,  the scene of shimmering sea  littered with majestic icebergs with the sun on the wan in complete silence was one I will always remember. People asked me “why do you want to go to Greenland?” That one scene was the answer, have been in the north enough to know how majestic nature can be there when she is on her good behavior & how deadly when not.

Took in a tour another 100 km north today to the face of a glacier (too dangerous to be near the Ilulassat one when calving) & saw some small ice coming off it, another impressive sight, also saw a  whale on the way up & a good sighting of one on the way back who put on a show for the camera’s. So it’s back to Nuuk manaña where 3 hrs of internet comes with the room so I can post this then off Copenhagen on Air Greenland.

Is the trip worth the cost? A Big time YES, OUI, SI!!

Lots of Europeans here but have only run into one Canadian, originally from Montreal but now an ex-pat living in Boston who was in Nuuk with a colleague for a seminar & were on a bit of a sightseeing tour while here.



Tags:

5 responses to “Greenland cont’d”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    WOW WOW WOW!!!!! your description is just so incredible I felt like i was there with you Dave!!!!!
    so Greenland is a must see 🙂
    so cool Dave…..are you remembering the postcards? lol…..
    the boys just love receiving them from Uncle Busman! lol

  2. Brian says:

    Hi Dave,

    I just finished catching up on your blog and am eagerly awaiting your further adventures. The wife and I have traveled all over Europe and are planning to ditch everything and head out on our own RTW so you’re an inspiration to us!

    Keep the posts coming. Thanks!
    Brian

  3. Macdon says:

    Very interesting…thanks Dave!

  4. Dave says:

    Sorry pina you will have to be like everyone else (would have to rob a bank to pay for all the post card requests I have had not to mention the postage) & settle for reading the blog & looking at the pics (possible exception might be the Indian version of a chicken bus)

    Brian I spent over 2 yrs planning this trip & my 6 mo jaunt to CA last winter & the reality has been waaayyyyy beyond expectations!!!

    Chris a word of advise next time you think about a summer trip to Cuba, make it Greenland instead, guarantee you won’t be dissappointed but contact me first as now I know how to do it cheaper thanks to Silver. Greenland is one place where the info on the internet is seroiusly lacking. However it is a mind blowing experience!!!

  5. macdon says:

    I will NEVER go to Cuba in the summer. My car was parked at the lake today and the temp read 36 celcius in the sun…I don’t want to travel to Cuba to experience that…