BootsnAll Travel Network



Escula y cafe No Se

44 hrs of Spanish lessons pretty much gives one good basics in the language on which to build & enables you to properly ask donde es le bano & dos cervazas por favor but not to have a conversation. Of course it would have helped to study properly & memorise the verbs when given every day but I am not alone in that as all the other students are saying the same thing, even the 18 yr olds just out of high school so I am in good company LOL.

Took a field trip Fri with the teacher to get some books & picked up a newspaper so ended up using the comics as a learning tool. That’s the great thing about this school the teachers have free reign to teach as they see fit for each student, we would be doing a prescribed lesson & I would ask a question & we would go off on a tangent in a whole different direction for 20 min or so but it was all a learning experience & kept it from being boring. Great school with great teachers.

Cafe No Se (cafe I don’t know) is in the Lonely Planet guide book as a friendly dive & it kind of fits the description but a great place to spend a Saturday evening with live music some time after 9. Just couldn’t leave Antigua without the experience of an evening at the No Se would have missed a part of the whole experience especially since one of my fellow Spanish school students just got a job tending bar there & was working her second shift Sat night. Talked with the bar manager a while before it got bust & he has been in town for 4 years so got a bit of the low down on ex-pat living in Antigua, seems very do-able. As I was waiting for a taxi to my hotel across town 3 more fellow students came in so it is the place to meet every one. I was twice the age of most of the crowd but in Antigua age, nationality or any thing else are not important the fact that you are in Antigua is all that matters!

Was supposed to meet real estate agent on Fri, but she forgot (es Antigua) so we changed meeting to Monday, the owner of the hotel (an amiga of Jorge) was supposed to be back from Mexico Thurs but won’t be back until Tues (es Antigua) so will stick around until Wed, came all this way have to meet her.

All the travel agents say you have to go to Guat City to go to El Salvador but the map seemed to look like you could go south from here & get there, found out last night at the No Se that it is possible to take chicken bus from here & get there by passing the city so think that is the plan now for Wed morn.



Tags:

4 responses to “Escula y cafe No Se”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    what is the chicken bus? lol…
    El Salvador…..Guatemala and then Panama?
    i would imagine that you intend to keep in contact with the owners of the escula right?

  2. Dave says:

    chicken buses are the old American school buses that are all painted up in bright colors, lots of chrome, shiney wheels & most important a LOUD air horn, they are loaded with people, both inside & on the roof & every thing they are taking home including chickens, hence the name. They are cheap run frequently & an experience.

    Will probably have to go back to the school for another week after Cuba to get rid of the corrupt Cuban Spanish LOL

  3. Jan says:

    Spanish lesson! hahaha … donde esta el bano (the estar verb) with the accent on the a. Another example: donde esta (where is it) or donde esta ella (where is she) or donde esta su casa or done esta el autobus (where is the bus) the ending pronounced boos like in boots.

    Hope that’s helped a bit and hope you’re having a blast!

  4. Dave says:

    Don’t sweat the small stuff in the Spanish language because every time you cross a border the accent &dialect changes so you can never be up to date unless you never travel, so you can’t win for loosing LOL. Just muddle along & make the best of it but what is really frusterating is when you can understand a lot of what is being said but can’t rember the verbs to carry on more than a rudimentary conversation GRRRRRRRRRR!!!