BootsnAll Travel Network



End of weekend excursion

On the Sunday we were picked up at our host families cassa, I had to walk about 2/3 km as the lane-way to the finca required a 4×4. We then proceeded to the base of the mountain at tecpan, approx 3500 ft at base & 10,000 at summit, went 2/3 of the way up in a 4×4 & 5 of the group hiked the rest of the way. When we started up the day was clear but by the time we reached the top clouds had developed & we were in the cloud, guess what the inside of a cloud is wet, so we didn’t get the full view which must have been impressive as about 1000 ft down when we got out of the cloud it was absolutely amazing looking over the country side dotted with the immaculate small farms with their patchwork 1/4 acre fields. At the top were 2 big communication towers, must have been quite a project building them along with the accompanying hydro line!

We then had a breakfast of a local kind of tortilla & arroz con leche, a drink made of rice, cinnamon & sugar mixed in with hot milk, delicious!

Then to the Mercado in town with a visit to the cathedral where mass was being held, back to Antigua & the end of an unforgettable week end.

A bit of trivia about a couple things Guatemala & Canada have in common, apparently Canada uses Guatemalan farm workers in the summer. I was informed of this by my host family & they should know, also every body has a cell phone & on Sunday the boys take their Harley’s out for a ride.

I was asked if it was safe for an attractive solo woman to come to Antigua for Spanish lessons, the answer is there are a lot of them here & as long as you keep yourself aware & follow the normal precautions you are as safe here as at home plus with the friendly travelers here you will make friends the first day.

I was also asked to post my itinerary; Saying a sad Hasta luego to Antigua & Guatemala on Monday as I head for El Salvador & on down to Ciduad Panama where I have a flight booked for La Habana on Dec 28. Hotel Nacional until Jan 2 then a cassa in Havana for the month of January, tour Cuba Feb & Mar, Apr????

Any one wishing to have a mojito with me in Havana pm me on Trip Adviser Cuba forum, that goes for Debbies forum members also because as long as Steffie j is a mod the busman will not be following that forum.



Tags:

5 responses to “End of weekend excursion”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    WOW!!!!!! I can’t wait to hear about El Salvador and Panama!!

    So basically it’s quite safe!! is it great for a mother/son experience? Antiqua…is there lots for like Eric to see-do?

    that warm rice milk sounds delish!! im impressed that you’re able to do all these hikes….
    you must be getting buff! lol

  2. Dave says:

    If Ericis at all interested in history he can keep busy for months & of course no shortage of girls lol.

    Only safety concern would be if you were to take the chicken bus to Guatemala City as apparently it´s pretty rough around the terminal they go into so just take a tourist shuttle & no problemo.

  3. Ready4off says:

    Dave, you seem to be enjoying your travels and mixing with lots of people. You are also being well looked after and enjoying your food.

    I cant believe how far you have travelled so quickly, I am really pleased that you are enjoying it, and it nice to keep us all in touch. Cheers Janet

  4. Pinamimi says:

    you’re hilarious!! who’s Steffie J? some nun?? LOL
    well i’d love to do immerse myself in spanish…what a place to do this!!!
    is there a link to this place Dave?

  5. Ready4off says:

    Dave, I am starting to check the places you have visited and the ones you are now going to, and I find it very interesting. I did all that when my neighbour,s son went on his last trip, you are having the experience of a lifetime and you are meeting different people, you have certainly done something which you wanted to do, Take Care and Keep us all informed, P.S. I am doing my geography all over again but with the help of a computer.