BootsnAll Travel Network



Culture Shock (again)

After leaving Nuuk in the rain (guess Greenland was sad to see me go) & a 3 1/2 hr layover in Kangerlussuaq, arrived in Copenhagen after a 4 hr 20 min flight in Air Greenland’s Air Bus 330.

BTW Air Greenland is now my #1 all time favorite airline, they sure know how to treat their customers whether on the short haul Dash 7’s or on the Copenhagen run with it’s FREE meal would leave a lot of restaurants with egg on their face.

In the short couple hrs I have been in Copenhagen (on first impression) all I can say is WOW the Danes sure know how to do things. From the traffic lights that have an amber before turning green (how cool that is) to the multitude of city buses & the real bike lanes with riders that actually obey the rules of the road to the neat boutique hotel I am staying in aptly called The Grand Hotel www.grandhotel.dk & just the general “feel” of the city from the taxi ride in from the airport & the couple beer looking out the window of the hotel bar. In comparison poor old “Hog Town” is a pathetic imitation of a world class city & even Montreal doesn’t stack up.

Reason for the hotel is the Danhostel downtown had no dorm rooms left & the 2 & 3 bed private ones were more expensive than the hotel as for one person they charge you the full price of three & even a dorm room with the added cost for sheets + the cost of a HI membership made it not an inviting option.

Believe I have mentioned I am not particularly fond of cities so it’s a major culture shock from the wilds of Greenland to Copenhagen with the hustle & bustle which starts at the airport where people that acted more or less nice in Greenland turn into animals as soon as they leave the plane. On the upside can still be understood in English so should be OK until Russia.

Just to add after decieding to stay an extra day in Copenhagen it has lived up to my first impressions. While Panama City is still #1 on my, cities I can tolerate list Copenhagen is now #2 & the Grand Hotel with it’s excellent location is good value for the price in this expensive city.

Tivoli Gardens, while a tourist trap, is a nice touch to downtown but The Little Mermaid is really “little” compared to all the other statues in town.

All in all an interesting experience.

Manaña the 06:00 train to Amsterdam via Hamburg if I am reading the ticket (in German, I think, right).



Tags:

One response to “Culture Shock (again)”

  1. È troppo bello, quando si tratta in India auguro che possa fare un posto a dondolo per ragazzo .. speranza che si avvera.