BootsnAll Travel Network



Bye bye Alaska

OK to give the Yukon it’s due I must mention that Parks Canada is doing a good job of preserving the history of Dawson City. However viewing some sites is a pain trying to figure out when they are open due to typical simple serpent mismanagement & downright stupidity.

The exception was the guy at the Robert Service cabin who gave an excellent overview of his life & read some good but little known verses, he was one of the odd civil service people who was actually knowledgeable & enjoyed his job.

Also the trip down the White Pass & Yukon Route railway was good with a Canadian & American guide sharing the duties on the trip, Railway is operated out of Skagway so not surprising it was well run, right down to the separate car for independent travelers!

Skagway was pretty cool (both in sights & temperature) with everything in easy walking distance. Juneau on the other hand is on the coast & suffers cool damp weather like Anchorage. Managed to get on the ferry from Skagway to Juneau but the only way out of here without waiting until the first of the week is by air so on a flight in a couple hours to Seattle & Portland.

Then Amtrak back to Seattle (49 of the 50 states visited) & bus to Vancouver where will spend the night at a friends, a couple days visiting relatives on the island (if they don’t leave town when they hear I am coming).

Finally an El Cheapo Westjet red-eye YYJ-YYZ on the 21st, 11 months + 1 day since I left on my Odyssey!



Tags:

Comments are closed.