BootsnAll Travel Network



Best ever playa weekend

So after saying good bye to the GVI group in Antigua I made my way to San Salvador a 5 hr bus trip from Guatemala City & must say that El Salvador is the prettiest country I have seen, the rugged beauty of Guatemala  gives way to the gentler more rolling terrain of El Salvador & entering the country via the high lands of the rutta de flores with the most fabulous colored flowers I have ever seen gives a lasting impression of  great beauty so if you are ever in the area it’s worth the trip.

Spent the night in the Tica bus hotel then made my way to the Hostel El Roble in Playa San Diego where I was just relaxing reading a book when their shuttle van pulled in with a group for the weekend & you can’t imagine the looks when the GVI group from Antigua got out, talk about a small world when of all the beaches & hostels in El Salvador we both unbeknowst to each other chose the same one for the same weekend!

I knew 6 out of the 13 from Spanish school so fit right in & had a super time including a water volleyball game US vs Europe in which I played for Europe as they were short a player & there was a Canadian playing for the US so it evened out. At the end of the weekend we all didn’t say good bye but until we meet again as we had proven the world is such a small place you never know when or where you will meet any one. This is a super group of young people from Europe, Australia, US & Canada, even the older gentleman from Britain that I had characterised as a know it all turned out to be a not bad guy who likes to talk a lot but means well.

Just goes to show that a super time can be had in a basic back packer hostel with shared bath rooms & cold water showers. especially when the owners are a great family that treat you as part of their family. Oh yeah El Salvador has the absolute best tortias in Central  America.

Another 12 hr bus ride + a 1/2 hr taxi ride & I am now in Granada Nicaragua.



Tags:

16 responses to “Best ever playa weekend”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    so cool Dave…..are you taking in a spanish school again in El Salvador?

  2. Dave says:

    Left El Salvador & am currently in Nicaragua having just passed through the bottom part of Honduras a 2 hr bus ride with a stop to pay the $3 tourist tax, next Spanish lessons will be Havana in the new year.

  3. Oncearound says:

    Hope to one day visit Nicaragua myself. We sponsor two kids from there trough Compassion International. They really seem to have a tough go of it.

  4. Dave says:

    Not sure but from what the taxi driver said on the way down from Managua it is getting better as they now have free health care & education which the other CA countries lack so things are looking up but have a long way to go. Also supposed to be a safe country now.

  5. Jan says:

    Dave .. what do you think of Honduras? A friend of mine (in my Spanish class) also sponsors a family or two in Honduras. She said of all places she’s been, she fell in love with Honduras and the people there.

    Sounds like you’re having a fantastic time! Good for you!

  6. Jan says:

    lol! I didn’t realize how many times I mentioned Honduras (oops) in my last post, haha.

  7. Dave says:

    As time is getting short & budget strained & any thing of interest tome in Honduras was out of the way I opted to bypass it in favor of Nicaragua which was highly recommended to me. Going out shortly to a volcano.

  8. Jan says:

    Oh yes .. that’s quite understandable!!!

    Enjoy!!! but don’t fall into that volcano! I hear they’re ouchie hot, hahahaha!

  9. Oncearound says:

    Visited an active volcano in Hawaii – Kilauea. When we went to the visitor center, there were seismographs all around the room and the needles were constantly moving. I walked right up to the edge of the cauldera, and stood a few feet away from an actual flow – man was it hot!!!

  10. Ready4off says:

    Hi Dave, you sound as if you are having a brilliant time and seeing lots of nice places, what a lovely experience, you are making lots of new friends too, what a coincidence that you have met up with the young people who had been staying at the same place as you were, I bet they had a surprise too.

    You be careful of that volcano. I am tracing your travels on a map, you are certainly trevelling a long way and what nice places you are seeing, and you wont be long before you are in Cuba, carry on having a brilliant time, look forward to your next post.

  11. Pinamimi says:

    that volcano sounds interesting….will you be visiting Honduras on your way back? or will that be on your next trip….when do you hit Panama?
    Is it through your profile on bootsnall that i can see where you’re going next? remember when you were over in September we were checking this out on my puter? im trying to do a map for my kids to see where BusmanDave is going….any postcards yet? lol nudge nudge lol

  12. Dave says:

    Hola pina sent you a postcard when I left Antigua, you might get it someday LOL

    Heading to CR Monday I think then Panama for Xmas & Jorge has my hotel in Havana booked for new years & an apartement for the month of January.

  13. Pinamimi says:

    thanks Dave! We’ll be looking out for it…. Is the dentist set up yet or will you be meeting with them once there? You’ll be having a really interesting Holiday Season….do you think you might miss the snow? lol

  14. Dave says:

    Miss that 4 letter word that starts with “S” don’t be silly!

    One of the regulars in the park in Antigua says that a couple times a winter there is some of that nasty white stuff on the top of the volcano south of town so you can look at it from a distance with out actually being in it, the best of both worlds LOL

    Jorge has done his job well & dentist appointment is set up for after the holidays only thing left to do when I am there is arrange the Spanish lessons.

  15. Pinamimi says:

    maybe you can arrange that with the casa owners in Havana…..
    how long do you think you’ll be there getting your teeth done?

  16. Dave says:

    Tell you after I have seen the dentist but have the cassa booked for the month to get a better rate + need another month of Spanish lessons any way.
    chicken bus this morn was an experience. Wait for my rant on public transportation in Ont vs SA LOL
    N0w in CR actually USA just a bit south with a bit of Spanoish mixed in, a couple days should be plenty here.