BootsnAll Travel Network



An interesting 3 weeks

Hasn’t been much new to post the past little while, the saga with the moronic Ontario doctors continues as the uninformed “little tin god” at the nursing home is still insisting that absolutely no one with dementia should be allowed to travel, he sounds more like a cut & paste job from Google then an intelligent person! With the negativity from the quactor, head nurse + sales manager it’s sure looking like a conspiracy to keep from loosing the 4K/month they are charging her for merely adequate care by the unionized staff.

Fortunately “Angels of Flight” has their own in house physician who is knowledgeable on the process, coming to  evaluate her this week. Also TACA airlines has a direct nonstop flight YYZ-SAL which means not being subjected to homeland stupidity’s quirky rules.

Worst case scenario is expensive air ambulance but even this cost would only be equal to a mere 9 months fees in the home. Kind of makes one wonder when one full years care in El Salvador costs less than one month in Ontario! Not to mention the higher quality of care there.

Flew down to El Salvador, AA with a stop in Miami (1/2 price of TACA), ended up buying a house (that I found on El Salvador’s Independence Day) in Playa Diego for an unbelievably low (by Canadian standards) price, only a 10 minute walk from the beach. A relatively painless procedure, similar to that here except that your first property in El Salvador must be paid for in full (no loans with El Salvadorian financial institutions). However getting the money down there from a Canadian bank is a bit of a challenge as they refuse to take a Canadian check & are a tad finicky with wire transfers but perseverance wins out in the end & that’s all that matters.

Storage unit is emptied, W/C bus is loaded for the road trip, Peterborough ON (actually a decent, friendly place to live, of course it’s outside the GTA) to Playa Diego, La Libertad, El Salvador via (my bucket list) the Historic US Route 66, the “Mother Road” that wends it’s way from Michigan & Adams Ave in Chicago to Santa Monica Blvd & Ocean Ave in Santa Monica California.

Viernes manana it’s heading out on a 10-14 day road trip where I will be extremely happy to see Ontario in my rear-view mirror as I cross the Sarnia’s Bluewater  Bridge (the quicker to get to the US’s cheaper fuel). Then onto the windy city & Route 66, followed by a stop in San Diego, over to Nogales (safer border crossing), down west coast of Mexico to Guatemala, likely a couple days in Antigua before heading home to Playa Diego.

Mother will follow Nov 1st, on a 5 hr flight.

Such is the plan, at this point in time!!



Tags:

4 responses to “An interesting 3 weeks”

  1. Deb says:

    Congrats on your home purchase!! I hope that your mom has a smooth transition. I’ve been following your journey for a bit now, sounds like it is finally working out 🙂 Off to check off El Salvador travel opportunities…never been there, thinking I might have to add it to the list.

    Enjoy Route 66.

  2. Dave says:

    El Salvador gets an undeserved bad rep & is the last place to be discovered in CA.

    Not much tourist infrastructure as yet, which is a good thing for the independent traveler. El Roble Hostel is great & only a few minutes away from a deserted beach + a few more from some great surfing. Definitely worth considering as an off the beaten path destination.

    BTW San Salvador is the safest CA capitol city after Panama City IMHO

  3. pinamimi1 says:

    10 minutes from the beach?!?!? WOW!!!!!! sounds amazing!!!!!! congrats!

  4. Dave says:

    Yeah now if only the F***ing thieves at the Bank of America will release the funds transferred to pay for it, all will be copacetic!!