BootsnAll Travel Network



Luchando por mi vida!

Okay, well I think I was right. Moving out and living on my own was a pivotol moment for me here in the DR. The autonomy of living alone is fabulous and challenging in the kind of way, peace corps volunteers expect to be challenged. However, I must admit, I have it soooo much easier than I ever imagined. My vision of me was in the andes, lugging water to my mud-hut, no electricity…rice, rice and more rice. While, life here is still hard and challenging due to numerous variables….sporadic electricity, no running water, poverty, lack of resources, lack of education, lack of being able to culturally relate…my life is good. I live in the upper part of a cement house( for two months now)…built by a german guy who is friends with the German doctor who brought me into town. I have running water , thanks to the fact that he built and connected a pvc pipe from Blue Moon the tourist retreat in town to the house. I have a big from porch and amazing back balcony that catches this fantastic breeze off the foothills and is a god-sent on a hot caribbean day. Plus, the view rocks. Also, I can access my roof by stairs and watch the sun retrieve each night and gaze at the stars that only an August Montana night can rival.
I am really starting to love and enjoy the people in my community. The work and projects are picking up and so is my Spanish( comparatively). I just started a girls club to empower the females in the area and am very excited about the direction and motivation of this group. English classes are going well and I am getting prepared for 3 months of craziness as 25 American college students willl be in town from May18th- August 10th volunteering their services. I am almost for sure going to get a little boxer pup in the next month. I almost got one in the capital yesterday and a Domican snatched him up, I am very excited for this. I have no real adventures to share that I can think of, just alot of little moments that I have stored up in my treasure box of memories…like when the 3 year old that lives below me began looking through my Rolling Stone magazine that was sent to me, and found a picture of Borat in his infamous yellow uni-swim suit…and she asked me if that was a boy or girl? and why were they wearing that?? stumped. Or when some teenage boys come over to play their Hip-Hop cubano cd they got from god knows where on my computer and I hang out in the dark of my front porch bumping hip-hop cubano swatting cucarachas and cienpies fom my feet with teenage boys. It’s not so bad I tell ya, lonely at times, but not so bad. So here’s to hoping that I’ll survive the heat and the 25 gringos locos this summer! I hope you all are good. Lots of Love and un abrazo fuerte!!!!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *