BootsnAll Travel Network



Life in the Domincan Republic

Well, it´s been sooo long since I have written last and I think it´s about time to make an entry. I am here in week 7 of a 12 week Peace Corps training program. My group started out spending the first 3 or 4 weeks in Barrios of Santo Domingo, which was very urban yet very compact and doable. I got use to jumping in carro publicos with 7 other dominicans when hailing a taxi, blaring bachata music  everywhere, at all times and everyday of the week. I still cannot figure out how one can possibly be in the mood for blaring music while drinking coffee at 6 in the morning, washing your car at noon and later while sipping a Presidente at the local colmado, but they are, they´re always in the mood. Variety, I always forget that is a granted privelage, I always have to get use to it when I enter a developing counrty…rice and beans…rice and beans…rice and beans….hey ya want some bachata music with your rice and beans???  It´s awesome. The good news is, that I like rice, beans and bachata music. It´s also a beautiful country…there is an array of diversity in the landscape that I know will lend me hours and hours of exploring and will definately nourish my soul over the next few years.Waterfalls, rivers, mountains and ocean to my hearts content. The people are wonderful, they open their houses up to us gringos as if we are part of the family and you really do become part of the family…and this is a very domincan quality. I love it, it´s beautiful.

Speaking Spanish, the last few days have actually been good in terms of I am finally beginning to understand what people are saying…can I always say something back ? nope, but I think I am improving….a little to say the least. I am experiencing the frustration that is intertwined with not being able to express yourself in it entirety….me gusta does not capture how happy I am when I get served deliciously fresh chinola juice…..and me me gusta does not even begin to explain my hatred for those damn platanos that have keep me away from the toiliet for long periods of time if you know what I mean.

What have I come here to do? good question. Silly me , at first I thought the Dominican Republic was goign to be an easy country to be in. I was so wrong. This country has got a list of problems so long and large I am overwhelmed by where we can even start. I want to teach the youth everything and anything i can, but will that end descrimination against Haitians?? not if they can´t read what I write….they go to school for 3 to 4 hours a day and receive only a  an hour or two of lessons, which are usually entirely unproductive and involve rote memorization. They are very good at copying down the date and week. The HIV and AIDS problem in this country is also a large and towering issue that they are afraid to talk about……and where to even begin on gender issues, oh my gosh these women have got their work cut out for them….and like most places in the world right now….more women are receiving higher educations and yet can´t get jobs. Please don´t even get me started ont eh sexual harrassment in this country. The DR ranks  number one on sexual harrassment in the world!!!! sweet! The blackouts here in the DR???? why and how to fix them??? those are the golden questions….so yes, this is a perfect country to have the Peace Corps in, or any development organization for that matter.

I hope to find out my placement in the country this Friday…..I am very anxious.

Until then, I hope you all are well and thanks for reading my post ( if you have made it this far)

Much Love,

Bianca

 

 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *