BootsnAll Travel Network



Whinging About Everything*

* Disclaimer: I reserve the right to love where I am and contradict my opinion on any of these matters at my whim without notice.

September 9, 2005
I hate motos: they are the motorbike taxis that are everywhere in Douala. They spew noxious fumes, their drivers are maniacs on the road, and they want the same fare as cars while subjecting you to wind, rain and dirt.

People can be so rude and pushy and what’s worse they watch you to see if you’ll say anything. This of course is a pet peeve of mine and I think it might be an unavoidable experience of life in the big city. (A woman in Yaounde actually walked by five people, including me, waiting in line for the ATM and used it. I was so happy when her card didn’t work.)

I hate sitting in the front seat of the taxi because you usually have to share it with someone. And it’s a bucket seat in a Toyota. If you’re the person on the inside, your left butt cheek is hanging over the seat and you’re trying to stay out of the way so the driver can shift.

I hate people talking about me in French and thinking I won’t notice. I don’t feel bad about interjecting into the conversation (in French) as though I was meant to be part of it all along. The best part is when I only understand one part of something, but when I comment it makes everyone feel that I know what they’ve been saying all the time.

October 6, 2005
I’ve been saving this one for a few weeks . . . I really think it’s possible that the men of Cameroon, have an unacknowledged urinary infection–it is epidemic the number of them that need to pee at the side of the road in any given day. And I’m not talking you happen to see someone behind a large tree; I mean you are walking along the sidewalk and some guy has turned towards the wall and unzipped his pants. Strangely enough, women don’t seem to be overtaken by this bladder urgency . . .

What do these people have against toilet seats–even in quite nice hotels. I guess it makes the leaving it up or down a moot point, but it’s NOT RIGHT . . .

Tags: ,



3 Responses to “Whinging About Everything*”

  1. Joanne Says:

    Throwing you a hug, sugar. It used to piss me off to no end when my in-laws would speak Lithuanian in front of me thinking I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND. Like you, I would interject now and again, in English though, and often what I interjected was (fortunately) in context with the conversation. So it made them nervous that I had understood everything they said ALLLLLLL ALONG! HA!
    Give ’em all your fiercest look. kisses, J.

  2. Posted from Canada Canada
  3. Anonymous Says:

    I was born and raised in Cameroon – though a foreigner. Now I live in the States. Reading through your blog reminded me of how much I miss home. Sure, life there can be difficult sometimes, sure there is a lot to complain about … but when I think of how boring and monotonous, and so completely “mechanical” life is here in the States …. I practically crave being back in Cameroon. I even miss sharing a taxi with seven other people!!
    About people speaking about you thinking you don’t understand … I have only one suggestion: pick up on the conversation! Cameroonian’s are the friendliest people, if you can just break through the barriers and get to know them better.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Deb Says:

    > I don’t feel bad about interjecting into the conversation (in French)

    You go girl! Best thing to fuel a new language: passion! lol

    Miss ya
    deb

  6. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply