BootsnAll Travel Network



What I Like About Douala

Douala isn’t really a tourist city. There aren’t any cultural attractions that I’ve heard of since I’ve been here. Not that I’ve really investigated a lot, but everyone always talks about going to Kribi or Limbe, not touring Douala. It is, however, a city of neighbourhoods that each have their own atmosphere and sometimes specific kinds of businesses.

We live in Makepe (the ‘burbs), pass through Deido, Bonamoussadi and Rond Point to get to Bonanjo (the city). Akwa is largely a shopping district right downtown. I like the people, mostly young men, who walk around with items to purchase in their hands and on their heads. Everything from candy and tissues to running shoes to handbags to peanuts to linens and pillows. There are also carts with hardware, shopping bags, pineapple, papaya, oranges or apples.

I like how the taxi drivers take their cars over the most daunting roads, braving things that look too big to be potholes.

I like the restaurants that put the day’s menu on a chalkboard outside and serve the yummiest food for $5 -7 dollars a plate.

I like internet cafes with English keyboards–for obvious reasons.

I like all the wonderful fabrics people use to make the clothes. Usually the women’s clothes are African style and very creative. The men’s are usually short-sleeved shirts that are worn large and untucked. Sometimes the men wear long tunics over pants and look very festive. Women tie their hair in the same or a matching fabric to their outfits.

I like that people say “Bonjour” or “Bonsoir” to everyone when they get into a taxi.

September 22, 2005

I like that you can see people (usually men) making beds, armchairs, armoires, even the big iron gates at the front of people’s houses. There are parts of the city where you can see them when you are just driving by on the road. They make everything from woven rattan type furniture to upholstered sets in whatever fabric you choose.

Tags: , , , ,



7 Responses to “What I Like About Douala”

  1. Aileen Says:

    Hi Debra,

    Seems like you are settling in very well. Your big day is fast approaching are you nervous and excited at the same time? Are all the plans set? What’s going on?

    Aileen

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Helen Says:

    Hello Deb,

    Just got the invite. It’s beautiful. Are you ready for the big day? It’s just around the corner. Hope everything is falling into place. Can’t wait to see the pictures.

    Hugs!
    Helen

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Deb Says:

    I’m really enjoying reading your blog. You’re a good writer!

    I am having a very bad week and I miss having you next door to whine to. 🙂 What’s a crisis without a good breakfast?
    I’ll be home in Toronto Oct 1-10 but it won’t be the same without you.

    But FELICITATIONS! and party hardy, girl! Have some cake for me.

    deb

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Hi Deb Says:

    Just wanted to send my congratulations, best wishes and lots of love. You deserve to be happy!!!!

    Hope your life is full of love, joy and peace. I will be thinking of you on your big day and wishing you good weather, peace, prosperity and everything good.

    Keep in touch.

    Melanie Brewster

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Joanne Says:

    Ohhhh I’m so happy to hear about things you like. Surprised plaintain didn’t get a whole write up unto itself! After the last blog, I was getting a bit worried about you being homesick. On the homefront, fall is finally arriving. Cooler nights, still warm days. We drove up to Stayner yesterday to pick up a freezer order (beef) and was great to be out of the city to stretch our eyeballs. The leaves are starting to turn – oranges, yellows, bright as well as deep reds. So pretty. Wishing you a happy day. xo Jo

  10. Posted from Canada Canada
  11. andrea Says:

    Hi there!!!

    Can’t wait to hear about your wedding. I tried to call on Friday, but I don’t think I was calling the right number.

    Your blog is great. I can’t wait to read more!

  12. Posted from Canada Canada
  13. Sharon Lind Says:

    Hey Deborah!
    Sure am missing you! And, why isn’t your blog updated?
    We have been having such a mild winter – can you imagine – Not a single snowflake rests upon the grass! Frankly, I don’t like it at all. I want snow!!! I feel discombobulated – like something is not quite right.
    Otherwise, all is well in Naka land. Write soon. I’m sure we are all waiting.
    Sharon

  14. Posted from Canada Canada

Leave a Reply