BootsnAll Travel Network



Photos: From Laos to Cambodia

These are a couple of pics taken during our epic journey from Don Det to Phnom Penh. We didn’t take as many as we’d have liked, but when your arms are pinned to your sides, you’ve got some weedy little bastard resting his sleeping head on your shoulder, your arse is numb, your mouth and hair and beard are full of dust, playing photographer isn’t the first thing that comes to mind.

Goin’ Grey? We stopped our epic journey to cross the Mekong river on a barge. And no, I am not going prematurely grey in the facial hair area, that is dust in my beard. And that was only after 1 hour of driving, there was another 8 hours to go .view image

Narcolepsy. How happy do I look, with weedy guy falling asleep next to me. Next to him you can see another guy blocking his nose as another car and its trail of dust heads towards us.view image

Where the hell are we? Here’s a few pics I did manage to take out the front window of the 4WD. Firstly, at one point we did manage to slip up onto a paved half of the road. Coming towards us you can see the dust cloud kicked up by passing cars and trucks. view image . Next, passing through what is clearly a construction site. It was around this stage that I became sure this was not the main road to Phnom Penh. view image . And just five minutes later, we hit the end of the road; a road block consisting of a series of dirt mounds blocking the connection to a paved road up ahead. This is the boys considering their options. view image . And later, hours and hours later, as the sun was getting low in the horizon, the landscape changed a little, as we travelled across a red dirt track that was remeniscent of outback Australia. view image .

The Lads. 9 hours since leaving Don Det, and after 6 hours of driving, we stopped for a beer (me and Bec) and some coffees (the lads). Only another 3 hours to go now.view image

A long day, folks.



Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Photos: From Laos to Cambodia”

  1. sean Says:

    random question … howd you ever get the glasses fixed after they snapped in thailand? they look 100% did you just have a spare pair along? take care.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    Hey Sean,

    mate, the same night they broke, we stopped in at a little mini-mart place, like an imitation 7-11, and bought some dodgy looking “Elephant brand superglue”

    The stuff was so strong it nearly glued Bec’s fingers together. When it said ‘Instant Bond’, it sure wasn’t joking – I don’t really want to know what the stuff has to do with elephants though. I thought the glasses might last me another week or two before falling apart again, but somehow, through all the dust and sweat, they’ve held together, meaning I haven’t had to use the back-up contact lenses I bought with me.

  4. Posted from Cambodia Cambodia
  5. Bec Says:

    Sean, everytime Dave cleans his glasses now, I hold my breath! That glue can’t stay forever….or can it?

  6. Posted from Cambodia Cambodia

Leave a Reply