BootsnAll Travel Network



Top of the Tree Tops

Our uncomfortable night at Rubys guest house at San Pedro continued into the morning when around 5am, the Americans were noisily up and about preparing for a tour or trip out diving. There was no consideration. Tiredness was fraing Eugene’s temper to the max. I think it was from hereon that we began our new game of counting the amount of times “awesome!” would be said in conversation.

We had a fairly lazy morning and re-packed our rucksacks for one of the final times on this trip. We filled up on fresh cakes again and then caught the taxi bus to Caye Caulker – a cosy ride with ones fellow passengers. We were particularly entertained with the guy who held tightly onto a rope he’d wrapped around his arm for the whole journey.

Caye Caulker is quite different to San Pedro in that it’s MUCH quieter and therefore much more to our liking! Eug lugged the rucksacks along the beach until we found Tree Tops guest house. This place was a little palace! Our huge room was on the top floor and very clean and spacious. We had a balcony at the back and also a porch on the front which was a fantastic sun trap. Doris Creasy, the owner, was really helpful but her instructions and advice were perhaps a little too intensive!

We walked along the beach into the main part of town, which again is effectively one long street. We lunched at the Rainbow, which sits out over the water, and watched the fish. Our afternoon was spent back on our suntrap porch. It was a bit breezy but still very hot.

Dinner that night was at Habaneros, which is recommended in the guide books. it was very busy and we were lucky to get a table. This in turn seemed to affect the service. The food was tasty and very fresh – there was just too much of it. I felt embarrassed leaving so much.

After a comfortable sleep, we headed out to explore the next day. After finding somewhere for breakfast we had a good walk round. We found the pier where the island has split in two and Eugene tried his hand-line fishing from there. There were lots of fish and rays around but there were very few stupid enough to find the hook! That afternoon we booked a fishing trip for the next day – Eug wanted to catch some big ones and I had to be there to take the pictures.
We found a great Italian restaurant that night and had a fantastic meal.



Tags:

Comments are closed.