BootsnAll Travel Network



The Lima Limp

We wandered outside the hotel for a short while, got some food (ridiculously cheap), and then came back at about 7pm. WeŽd been up for getting on 42 hours by now, and the plan was to sleep, sleep, sleep until 4am the next morning when weŽd be back at the airport all over again. At least that was the plan……..

Our room wasnŽt the best weŽd ever stayed in, but the shower was hot and the two beds at least allowed us to be horizontal for the first time in a long time. As we dozed, we had two very strange phone calls and a knocking at the door – we picked up the calls and wondered what was being said to us, while the door we ignored, hoping that blissful ignorance would see us through this.

But the bed legs were vicious affairs, determined to catch our feet at every opportunity as we tried to navigate our way around our box of a room.

Em had already caught her feet twice and I once on these blasted wooden struts of torture, and we made a note to be more careful. But it wasnŽt enough, and as I moved from one side of the room to another the worst possible thing happened – I cracked my little toe against the wood and screamed in absolute agony. Stars wizzed around my head, the pain was excrutiating – and it didnŽt go away. All night.

Nor did the noise from the street, but the honks and hoots of cars, buses, trucks and anything else with wheels became replaced by a noise that could only be decribed as being the same as if one was sat on the wing of a jumbo jet. Outside on the wing. It was horrendous, it started at midnight, and by three in the morning weŽd had enough. Bags packed, we tried to move, only to find that my little toe was going to be our next little challenge. It was the size of my big toe and I could only walk with short stumbling steps.

Well, at least it got me out of carrying all of our newly reaquainted bags, but it doesnŽt look good for the rest of our TREKKING trip. And we travel to Bolivia today, three flights and a first visit to the worldŽs highest capital city, La Paz, literally a breathtaking 14,000 feet above sea level. It may just be that we go to hospital soon…….

(PS- thanks for all the comments, they made both of us laugh out loud and reminded us of just how far away we are, thanks!)



Tags:

3 Responses to “The Lima Limp”

  1. Hannah Says:

    Hola. Hope things get better once you get to Bolivia.
    Looking forward to the alternative cheese on Xmas day.
    Adios.

  2. Richard Says:

    I do hope you’ve got the film rights sorted out for this trip – sure to be a winner. Some titles suggest themselves already: “Lemony Baston’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events”? (Or has that already been taken?)

    Richard (who packs earplugs when staying in any hotel further afield than Church Stretton…)

  3. Geoff Says:

    This is becoming more entertaining than Narrowboatworld – but don’t tell Victor that I said so!