BootsnAll Travel Network



Tedious Tacna

We got a taxi back to Peru in much the same way as we got to Chile, just with less chaos! Strangely enough, we saw Lilo hanging out with his mates at the bus station. He shook our hands enthusiastically again and squinted his eyes for a “bootiful Emma!”. The border crossing was much easier this time, with less bag checking and what felt like a quieter road. The desert hadn’t changed much though.

Back in Tacna, there was no chaos and touting at the bus station. In fact, we had to ask to get a taxi to our hotel!

The Gran Hotel Tacna is according to the guide books, the best in town and we’d certainly made a good choice. A good, clean room with a small balcony and a nice quiet pool, where we spent most of the afternoon snoozing!

The problem we found in Tacna was a lack of eating establishments! We ended up going back to the same street cafe we’d had lunch at, which appeared to be quite popular (even though the bar next door had been fumigated at lunchtime and that side of the street was littered with cockroach carcasses!). The service got worse as more people arrived! Tacna itself appeared to be populated with pharmacies, amusement arcades and a plethora of photocopy shops – and very little else! We appeared to be the only “Western” tourists in town but were not hassled as you might have expected.

Tomorrow is flight number 9 of our trip, back to Lima where we were a month ago when “the toe” saga started. For those of you still interested, it’s been very quiet on “the toe” front but when I enquire into its health, I’m asked to carry out an inspection – so obviously, I’m careful at which time of day I ask! The pain seems to have subsided, but there´s still swelling and a lack of mobility compared to the healthy toe on the other foot. A trip to hospital awaits ‘the toe’ on our return!



Tags:

Comments are closed.