BootsnAll Travel Network



Save our Meat!

After reading someone else´s blog, we’d heard about frequent protests in Arequipa. So, it would only be natural to see one while we were here! The main square had a slow march trampling around, under the guidance of a woman with a loud speaker who often incited a cheer and shouts from the followers.

The march itself was well organised, with kids selling whistles – everyone seemed to have one. Many people had brought plastic bottles, with something inside to make a rattle. And there were plenty of banners – from all around the area. They were protesting about the tax on meat and how it was making it difficult for them as farmers and meat producers. One guy was carrying what looked like half a leg of a cow, proudly holding it aloft during the cheers.

The protest was peaceful but the police maintained their presence on motorbikes (reminding us of CHIPS, if anyone else remembers that Saturday afternoon favourite?).

After a few turns around the square, the protest made its way up to the police station, where they were met with a line of riot police, guarding the door. We also saw the back-up waiting down the road. The woman with the loundspeaker continued the barrage of protest but we saw no violence. However, to be on the safe side, we moved on and left them to it!

It seems that whatever the occasion in Peru, there’s always someone ready to make a quick win by selling the necessary article! Whistles today, and no ponchos or umbrellas since we seem to have left the wet rainy highlands behind for now.



Tags:

Comments are closed.