BootsnAll Travel Network



Quetzaltenango (Xela)

We have both now decided that this place is very odd.

Itīs Guatemalaīs second largest city and yes, itīs big, but apart from the odd colonial building and doorway, it seems very basic and uncared for. The dirt and litter suggested that the people here arenīt that bothered either.

And for the tourist, thereīs not much to do or see. It really is a place to stop “in transit”. We ventured out to book our bus to Mexico through a very helpful travel agency (Adrenalina) and then went for a quick beer in “Guatemalaīs oldest bar” – opened around 1935 according to the guide book – they obviously started late here – Bar Tecun!
We sat on the tables outside and a young Guatemalan guy started talking to us – reminded me of Mini Kev I used to work with – same laugh and everything. Then two of his aquaintances arrived and began chatting – they originated from the States and Greece but their English wasnīt too great. The Guatemalan guy then had to dash off, but would be back. It was all a bit bizarre and made us feel a bit paranoid although weīre sure they were just being friendly.

We both felt a bit rough in the evening – stuggled at the Italian restaurant with pictures of Praino and Amalfi all over the walls but the lasange was a bit “thick”! We were both in bed before 9pm. Donīt get ideas – it was pure exhaustion!



Tags:

Comments are closed.