BootsnAll Travel Network



Party time in Puno

The bus arrived in Puno and everyone jostled to get their hands back on their rucksacks.

We were hustled into a taxi by a guy who was very disappointed to find that weīd booked everything in Puno and were only visiting for one night.
The Hotel Colon Inn was very comfortable – and the name did not reflect our now calm digestive systems! The guide books didnīt have much to say about Puno – apart from it being the old run-down port of Lake Titicaca. But we thought weīd go out and have a look anyway….

We walked up a couple of streets then heard the brass bands. Then we saw the colouful costumes dancing down the street towards the main sqaure. Eug went back to fetch the camera (now fondly known as the yo-yo camera, as itīs permanently in and out of its case). Each group had itīs own brass band and itīs own theme – bull fighters and miners were two I can remember. One group seemed to have lost interest in the parade and were busy trying to finish a bottle of very strong liquer – but it made them smile and pose for passing cameras. And there were little kids dressed up as llamas – in full fur suits – very, very cute! And they kept messing about and falling over each other! The costumes were stunning – very elaborate and brightly coloured. We must have been stood a couple of hours watching them go by.

We followed the parade to the main square. It was getting dark by now and starting to drizzle. This didnīt stop the performance and the brass bands, who each took a turn in the centre of the sqaure (the square itself was very pretty), surrounded by a good crowd of supporters. We headed to “The Shamen” bar, which had a couple of balconies overlooking the square and played good Western music – Oasis guided us in! So we had a beer and watched the parade from above. But the rain got heavier and the skies were full of lightening – the crowds disappeared. However, the dancers and brass bands continued until their piece had finished and they continued to party across the square and down another side street. Considering that we thought Puno was going to be a fairly dull stopover, this was quite a find!



Tags:

Comments are closed.