BootsnAll Travel Network



LGW

Okay, here we go. It’s likely that to make any sense of the contradictions found in passing between borders you’ll need to read all entries in this category. And of course, until they come along, we don’t know what we’ll find! But we do know that we’ve got a fair few border crossings coming up on this trip, from the straighforward (or at least we’d like to think so!) to the more esoteric, such as crossing from Mexico back into Guatemala by river boat.

But first up it’s good ole Gatwick and our flight to the States.

We managed to get to LGW (courtesy of tee total Vinnie) well before the stipulated three hours prior to check-in time, and actually found ourselves admiring the Queue Management System (QMS) being erected at the check in desks for American Airlines. Very impressive how those posts were wheeled into place with the deftness of experts trained in QMS! It also meant we were third (yes, a world record for us, and not something we’re particularly proud of!) in the queue for check in.

Four pedestal desks were between those caged within the QMS and the actual check in, and spot on three hours before expected departure we began to be called forward. Our excitement was hard to contain as we slipped from the grasps of the QMS and presented ourselves, all simles and cordial greetings, to Dennis, who was somewhat grey and almost crouched behind one of the pedestals.

Even though he was definately grey close up, Dennis was a nice chap, and he explained he wanted to ask us some questions before we could proceed. Nothing wrong there, one would think, but after perusing Em’s passport for a few seconds he completely blew us away with the question “Do you know Hasland really well?”. Now, we appreciate that terrorists may acquire identities and it’s important to test their knowledge, but a) we’re not terrorists, and b) it’s too early in the morning to come out with a question so unexpected as this!

It turned out that Dennis’s brother runs the Blue Star cafe in Hasland (Em’s original place of abode) and he wondered if we knew him! “No, sorry, my, my, what a small world it is, and, erm, can we go forward to check in now please?” (mental note to self: remember to keep smiling while this is happening and wonder whether the Blue Star is an Egon Ronay establishment). “No, I need to ask you a few further questions, if that’s okay?”. Considering we knew we didn’t have a choice, we politely agreed and waited for the next esoteric question to be thrown our way.

What Dennis did do that was shockingly missing at our next experience (ahhh, you’ll have to wait for that to be written!) was ask us the usual questions about packing bags ourselves and whether anyone had asked us to carry anything for them. With answers in the negative, we were allowed to proceed, and saw our bags away a short time later. No wonder we need to turn up three hours before the flight departs!

Having had some gruesome experiences of security in the States, we hastened to make it through our very own ‘Homeland’ security, just in case two hours 45 minutes wouldn’t be enough. Oh, how pleasant this experience was. No queues, cordial people, we get to keep our shoes on, and we walk into the departure lounge ready for some breakfast.

Perhaps you’ve already guessed the other end will be much different……..!



Tags:

Comments are closed.