BootsnAll Travel Network



Dire Dangriga

We chose to spend a night in Dangriga as it sounded fairly interesting in the guide books and we wanted to break up our journey from Punta Gorda to Belize City.

Unfortunately, this was a bit of a bad decision on our part. Dangriga is supposed to be one of the biggest towns in Belize but for the tourist, there is very little.

We found, according the the guide book, the “best place to eat in town” for a late lunch, which wasn’t anything special at all but still a respite after our long sweaty bus journey. Eug left me with the rucksacks so he could venture out to find us a hotel, from the limited selection available. We were booked into the “Bonefish Hotel” which at 40 quid a night was extremely expensive considering it was extremely basic. On the door hung the sign “Your home from home”; there’s no place like this ‘home’ in our minds! We had our own bathroom which is always a bonus, or so we thought until the cockroach wander across the broken tiled floor!

We spent a few hours this afternoon catching up with email and our blog. There really didn’t seem to be anything else to do or see here, and despite being next to the sea, the beach was uninhabitable (almost like the Bonefish Hotel), covered in debris and generally very unpleasant.

Back to the “Bonefish” for a wash and brush up. No hot water. Great. This was manageable considering it was so warm outside. Eug complained about the lack of hot water and the management said they’d switch it on for us. Thanks!

The poor choice of places to eat forced us out to the Pelican Beach Resort which was a taxi drive away. On our way to find a taxi we were spotted as token white people as one guy told us he had just been released from prison and could we give him some money so he didn’t have to sleep in the park that night? The freedom of the park sounded rather luxurious but we told him we’d come out without money to which he graciously moved on. The driver, Gifford, was cool and the roads were full of potholes. Eug struck a deal with Gifford that he’d pick us up in the morning on our way to the airstrip, and agreed that 7am at the Bonefish wouldn’t be too soon to get away from this place.

The Pelican Beach Resort is supposed to be the poshest place to stay in Dangriga. There didn’t appear to be many people staying there and the place itself came across as simple and souless. As usual, Eug and I were the only people in the restaurant! There was a limited choice for dinner. Eug had salad for starters and I had a lukewarm ladle of carrot and coriander soup. Eug then had a steak that “was brought in for the holidays” with “coomber salad”. Steak and cucumber then. I had the ginger fish which looked nothing like Geri Halliwell and was actually quite nice, also with “coomber salad”. Overall though, considering the price, the meal was rather disappointing, summising Dangriga as a whole.

We got a taxi back and watched some TV in our room. It rained hard that night, and thankfully we’d be getting out of this place in the morning.



Tags:

Comments are closed.