BootsnAll Travel Network



Bandits!

Thought we´d slip this entry in for our mate Victor who has a particular interest in bandits.

According to the Lonely Planet Guide, bandit activity still exists in Mexico and Guatemala. Robberies and rapes are the most common activity of said bandits. In past years, it has been the main routes and some of the mountain hikes that have been bandit hot spots. For example, some of the volcanoes around Lake Atitlan, and the roads to Xela and Antigua. The government has cracked down on this, thus vastly reducing bandit activity, by employing many more police on these routes. We certainly have felt the police presence as we´ve travelled around. And it goes without saying that common sense on the part of the traveller usually ensures that nothing untoward happens.

Makes you glad that home in the UK, bandit activity doesn´t really exist. We´ve got by so far withought the orange safety fencing so Victor, you really shouldn´t worry so much! You´re more likely to get lost in that triangle you´re holidaying in!



Tags:

3 Responses to “Bandits!”

  1. Nige' Baston Says:

    Merry Christmas both.
    looks like the Banditos got you on Christmas Day—or most probably the HANG OVER couldn’t find the effort to string two sentences together. Fair play to you!!. Enjoy the rest of and I look forward to reading more of your adventures when you’ve dried out.
    Nige’ 25/12/05
    PS Will be thinking about you at the Clan gathering later today.

  2. Eug and Em Says:

    Thanks for all the comments everyone. Good to know you`re keeping up with our hols!
    Hope you´re all having a good Christmas!
    E&E xx

  3. Posted from Guatemala Guatemala
  4. Victor Says:

    Glad you are having a hectic time. But me, no longer on the sunshire island but back all ready to torment you again!

    I don’t like the idea of you having better bandits than us, still time for the orange fencing.

    Jan and Tom say happy New Year, whenever it is for you.

    And may all your Castlemill problems be little ones.

    Victor