BootsnAll Travel Network



The Hills are alive….

With the sound of music…ahhhahhhahh….
For those of you who dont know (but come on we all secretly love it) Salzburg in Austria is the home of the sound of Music, so what better chance to go all out for the cheesyist tours ever. The hostel that I stayed at plays the movie every day as well as very much promoting the tours. I didnt arrive untill late so it was pretty much straight to bed for me after giving my pants a wash in the sink…the water was so disgusting….pretty much all my clothes and my shoes were compleately wrecked. The next morning I of course still fel like crap, couldnt stop coughing and felt like I was swallowing knives because my throat hurt so much….writing this in Rome and still not feeling that great!

The plan was just to spend the day there then overnight train out but wasnt up to it so stayed and extra night, spent the morning in bed but managed to drag myself up for the afternoons tour.

It was very funny, listed in guidebooks as the best and the worst thing about Austria, you definitlely needed to not take yourselves seriously as the guide was just a compleate nutter. We learnt an amazing amount of information about the movie, such as Austrians dont like it because it was a amercian rip off of a German film and when they filmed they did things like hung Nazi flags without permission and at the end of the movie the VonTrapps are actually going the wrong way, into Germany not to Italy. Also saw the locations of the house, the gardens, the pavillion then headed out (yes on our big wanky tour bus, mainly full of older amercians) to the lakes region this beautiful area where they shot lots of the scenery shots. It really was amazing to see all the mountains and lakes with little houses. Would be pretty amazing in the winter I imagine with snow and ice skating. Last stop was the church where Maria and the Captain were married, a little town that could have come from a travel guide. Had meet some cool australian chicks so we stopped at a nice little cafe and had apple strudle with custard, yum! On the way back into Salzburg we listened to the sound track and sung along of course, all ending approprately with the “so long, farewell” song. So it was great, did get loads of info about Salzburg and the movie so all good! Did make me realise that Salzburg is in a pretty amazing area and theres a lot to do.

That night I had a great bunkroom who all meet up with these other great people and all wanted to go out…but I was just too sick so went to bed about 9….so boring…and a shame because would have been a fun night but have to make sacrfices! Watched the sound of music the next moring and spent the afternoon in the Mirabell Gardens, which are the most beautiful gardens/park Ive seen and where they shot all the scenes for do-re-me. So that was the end of my brief Austrian visit, may be back for a night in Vienna if time permitts but will see how we go…so into Italy on my favourite overnight trains…no sleep..arriving in Florance at 6am! perfect!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply