BootsnAll Travel Network



Angkor What?

One night in Bangkok was spent at the malls and markets thinking about what we would buy when we were back (if we had any money left). Then it was off to Cambodia on a long day of buses, border controls and expensive taxis because there was no more buses. Visa was no problems to get, just a long line and a request for an extra ‘fee’. Bit of a difference in Cambodia as the road from the main entry point and the biggest tourist attraction was not paved so it was a long bumpy ride into Siam Riep, arriving late in the evening.

Bright and early the next morning we tuk-tuked out to Angkor Wat, Cambodias big draw card. Which explains the incredibly expensive entrance fee’s. A lot of super old temples, all very impressive and very massive. Spent the entire day checking out all the different ones, set in a massive area with forests, food stalls, beggars and shops. You can get passes that last up to a week but 1 day was enough as amazing as, they are as Asians say ‘same same, but different’.
Main one Angkor Wat is huge with death defying stair ways leading up big alters. Another couple were used in the movie tomb raider and my favourite was one set back in the forest with massive tree roots snaking around the sides of pillars and down the walls. We had hired a tuk-tuk for the day as walking the whole way around in the heat would have been no fun, lastly we headed up a hill to one last temple to watch the sunset which unfortunately didn’t make it through the clouds. So tired, dirty and dusty and with camera memories full we headed back into town to shower and get some food. Siam Riep is full of funky bars and restaurants and we had some great food at ‘the dead fish’ then headed down the aptly named ‘bar street’ for a few drinks then back home.
One more day before leaving and started nice and early at 5am with a wedding happening literally on the other side of the very thin wall from us. The whole room vibrating from the bus as dodgy speakers blared out voices and strange music for about 5 hours. Great way start to the day. Headed to a cute little café called the butterfly house for breakfast, which is in a garden with hundreds of butterflies floating around you. Off to the markets to get a few clothes as mine are all falling apart, and lunch on the street. So day pretty lazy day, did have nice dinner on a rooftop restaurant for our last night. Working out that we are spending way too much money as things work out to be more expensive than you think, so finances are looking a bit dire but not too much longer to go!
Early next morning we got on a bus to Phnom Pen, the capital of Cambodia. Cheap bus ride, longer than expected but nothing too bad, at least the road was paved! So rocked into the capital about 1.



Tags: ,

One response to “Angkor What?”

  1. Jeanie says:

    Hey lady!!!

    I hope you’re doing well out there. Angkor Wat, god, I’m so jealous! Yay. Take care.

Leave a Reply