BootsnAll Travel Network



Angoon(y)

It’s end of January and I had been back home from the North Slope of Alaska since the end of October. We didn’t get any good snow until the middle/end of December, but since then the skiing has been incredibly good. Did manage to get a few outstanding back-county telemark days in and got out to Tsalteshi Trails nearly every day. I do love to ski!
juneauflight.jpgferryice.jpgangoon.jpg
Sad to report that I again find it necessary to earn a few dollars. More than a few. So it’s back to a village to replace a teacher who didn’t want to finish out the school year. This time, it’s Angoon, a Tlinket village in SE Alaska on Admiralty Island. The island has the highest concentration of brown bears on the planet, although they’re taking a long winter’s nap right now.

Getting here took a bit more time than usual. Leaving Soldotna early Sunday morning had me arrive in Juneau by 11 – not much of problem, although the approach to the airport there was very bouncy. However, a high pressure system settled over the area and the temperatures plunged to single digits F.

Of course, like most Alaskan villages, you can’t drive to Angoon, so it’s either an hour float plane flight or a 5 hour ferry ride. In the winter, the ferry only runs on Thursdays and Saturdays. I had a seat on the float plane, but the temps need to be a minimum 15 F for the plane to fly – a danger of ice in the sea during colder weather. So, the flight that day was canceled.

I should have known something was up when I checked into the hotel across the street appropriately named the Extended Stay. One night became four. Lots of walks, internet time, reading, writing, and wasting time. And then it was Thursday, so instead of flying ($110 one way), took the ferry ($37). The best part of it all is that I was on the the school district’s dime – including getting full pay for each day in Juneau. Nice work if you can find it. I get to report for duty bright and early on Friday morn.

I’ve posted some picts of the flight to Juneau, the ferry ride and the village.



Tags: , , , , , ,

One Response to “Angoon(y)”

  1. mike gustkey Says:

    DuDe,

    Just found a couple of minutes to write. Hope you are well. Spring is beginning to show its ugly head here.

    Will you be able to be at the WEEKEND? I’m assuming not. Will miss you at the pits!

    Have papers to grade!

    Love Bubba M

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply