BootsnAll Travel Network



Sunshine!

My first week in the Cederberg has been a glorious one with brilliant sunshine, temperatures between 25 and 30 and beautiful blue skies. Perfect hiking weather. I have been out and about at every opportunity making up for the lost time last year when the weather was so bad that hiking was out of the question. This year I have been exploring the surrounding mountain passes, and hiking the local trails. Most mornings I am up early and walk the ring road around camp, the Elephant Rock trail and sometimes down to the road and back up, all before breakfast. What a great way to start the day.

I know that I should let my friends in Clanwilliam know that I am back in the Cederberg but other than my quick sojourn to town for supplies, I haven’t been able to tear myself away from the solitude of the mountains. The chance to wander with one’s thoughts in this peaceful place is totally intoxicating and such a welcome relief from the chaos of life and responsibilities. There is a restfulness here that you feel immediately upon your return and you feel as if you are returning to the basics of life, without all of the trappings and materialism. It is a strange, yet comforting feeling, even though there is no question that this is a harsh and forbidding country. Life is not easy here, far from it, but I guarantee you there is nowhere else on earth where you feel so alive!



Tags:

Leave a Reply