BootsnAll Travel Network



Mission Accomplished!

Well, I did it! I climbed Leopard Rock! And as high as I may have been on top of that rock formation, my spirits were soaring so much higher because of all that that symbolized for me.

Wednesday dawned a beautiful sunny day. I awoke at 7:00 and set out on my morning walk. I headed up the hill to travel around the “ring road” which circles around behind the camp and comes back out to meet the laneway into Gecko. Although it was daylight, the sun had not yet spilled over the mountain tops and to watch it slip quietly through first one valley then another was like opening a gift on Christmas morning.

Once back at the laneway I meandered over to Elephant Rock, sticking to the trail today and looping down below the elephants to again meet the laneway from the other direction. It was such a perfect morning that I couldn’t bear to go back so I turned down the hill and walked out the laneway down to the road that leads into the Cederberg.

At the bottom gate I stopped to examine some tracks in the dirt that I was not able to identify. I snapped a few photos, making a mental note to ask Ingrid and John about them when I got back to camp. Reluctantly I headed back up the mountain towards Gecko Creek where Ingrid had my coffee waiting for me. I am so absolutely and completely spoiled here!

In the afternoon, John (Linton’s guide) said that it was a perfect day for climbing and asked if I was ready to tackle Leopard Rock. I had been ready since the day I arrived but the weather just hadn’t co-operated so I was eager to get at it.

John, an accomplished climber, led the way, stopping to explore caves and centuries old San Bushman rock paintings along the way. With the thoughtful care I have come to know is typical of John, he patiently blazed the trail and pointed out the best hand and footholds for his LESS than accomplished student. It was an exhiliarating experience. Overcoming my fear of heights and achieving the goal I had set for myself six months earlier was fantastic.

That memory will stay with me forever. For me, it is a symbol of self-discovery and achievement. It was one of the most satisfying moments of my life!



Tags:

Leave a Reply