BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Reacquainted

After relaxing in the Cederberg, I was looking forward to a trip to Cape Town to spend time with Kat and Ingrid. The rainy week last week was the perfect excuse to put away my hiking boots and return to city life.

On Thursday morning I travelled the N7 to Cape Town. Usually I would have taken my time and visited the Farm Stalls along the way (roadside shops run by local farms with everything from fruit to jams to clothing). The rain today made me push on to Cape Town.

Being a weekday, my wonderful friend Katja was working so I spent the afternoon shopping at the Canal Walk. This huge shopping mall has every store that you can possibly imagine. When you are inside of it, you could be in any major city in the world. The mix of familiar (Woolworths, iStore, Kentucky Fried Chicken) and uniquely South African stores provides you with endless shopping opportunities and before the afternoon was over I somehow had added two pair of shoes to my wardrobe.

Things are generally less expensive here; however, it is the same as everywhere else. Price is relative to quality and the overhead of the store you are purchasing it in. I was pleased however that my two pair of shoes cost me about the same as one pair would cost me at home.

When Kat was done work she called me on the cell phone and we arranged a meeting place in the mall. It was so good to meet up with her again and we had great fun as we chatted and strolled along.

Eventually, Kat led us to a wonderful pasta restaurant where I ordered “Fughi Blanca” (pasta with assorted mushrooms in a white wine sauce) accompanied by a beer. I seldom choose beer but just had a notion for one and seeing as I want to experience everything I can here, it was a good opportunity to try a different selection.

As we sat and chatted the evening quickly slipped away. We made our way back to Kat & Rhino’s beautiful apartment in the gated “Century City” complex. This is a protected complex surrounded by high gates and you must check in with the security people at the gate to gain access.

A nightcap of “Grappa” accompanied by more good conversation and watching a video of one of Rhino’s safari tours, capped off a lovely evening and we happily retired to sleep.

Friday morning again dawned grey and drizzly but that did not dull my joy at seeing my precious friend Ingrid again. We met for breakfast at a little restaurant across the street from her daughter, Chou-chou’s apartment where I ordered bacon, eggs and ostrich sausage for breakfast. Soooooo good.

After a good chat over several cups of Rooibos Tea, we headed out for Hout Bay. This seaside suburb of Cape Town is nestled on the side of a mountain looking out over the Atlantic Ocean. Seals abound here and can be seen sunning themselves on the rocks or swimming lazily in the water. On my first trip to South Africa, I took the boat from here to Seal Island which lies just offshore. There hundreds of seas rest on a collection of tiny islands. It is quite site to see.

We enjoyed a cup of tea at the marina which has a lovely gift shop, and lunch of calimari and prawns on the wharf.

While the weather may have been cool and overcast, I was warmed by the pleasure of being in the company of this gentle and loving soul. She is truly a treasure. It is a rare friendship we have where one feels totally at ease to be absolutely yourself knowing that you are loved for exactly who you are. Such a very special thing.



Tags:

Leave a Reply