BootsnAll Travel Network



Yet Another Sunset!

We have been traveling for a little more than 6 months and a strange thing started to happen. It took me a while to figure out what it was. Routine has set in. Traveling becomes your new life. When we first started everything was new and everything was a challenge: living in the Yoda Van, the border crossings, being pulled over by corrupt policemen, not understanding the language, etc. All of this we have learned to deal with. We are able to communicate (sort of at least), border crossings don’t scare us anymore, we know how to deal with corrupt cops, and in other words we really know what we are doing now. Not too many new and surprising things are happening anymore.
We have talked to other travelers who have been on the road for a long time and many of them said the same thing. After about 7 or 8 months they are ready to settle somewhere and I think I can understand why.

After traveling for so long everything just becomes another routine. Another beautiful beach, another sunset, another waterfall, rainforest, national park, parrot, crocodile etc. To see all of this, you need to pack all of your stuff, drive to next place, find a place to stay, unpack your stuff and think about where you want to go to next and then the same thing all over again. And to me this is getting old and repetitive. I am really looking forward to fly to the San Blas Islands on Thursday (click here to see a picture of the island we will be staying on) and start the trip back. That doesn’t mean that I am ready in any way to be back in Seattle (definitely not with all cold weather they have there right now). On the contrary. I am looking forward for to what’s ahead. We will not hit very much unknown territory anymore. From now on we know exactly what we want to do, what we want to see, who we want to meet again and take advantage of all we have learned on the road so far to.  We’ll go back to Costa Rica, spend one or two days at playa Hermosa (our favorite place in C R). We won’t spent much more time in Nicaragua and Honduras, but spend more time in El Salvador, my favorite country (Allison’s favorite so far is a toss up between Mexico and Guatemala). In El Salvador everything will be all about great food and meeting William’s friends again. There are a few places left to see in Guatemala and then we will try to rent an apartment on Yucatan for a couple of weeks, where my nephew from Germany will come to visit us. It will also be fun to camp in the Yodavan again. 

 

And even if some things are getting old and repetitive about being on the road for so long. One thing never does. Being with the kids 24 hours a day! Ok, there are moments where a break would be nice (anyone interested in babysitting when we come back?)

 



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *