BootsnAll Travel Network



The Long Road Home

The 3 days we spent on San Blas were interesting for a few reasons. One is that it really was one of the highlights of our trip. It must be one of the most beautiful places in the world, and definitely one of the most beautiful we’ve all seen in our lives. It was also extremely interesting culturally. Another reason it was momentous was that it was also the farthest point we will travel from home on our entire trip. With our flight back to Panama City we began the long road home.

Don’t think that means we’ll be home anytime soon, though. We still have a very long road to travel and expect to be on the road for another 4 or 5 months.

Some stats on our travels:
• We traveled in 8 countries on this trip so far (US, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama). We expect to add one more country to this list on our way home: Belize.
• We’ve driven almost exactly 10,000 miles in the Yoda Van.
• We’ve traveled about another 1000 miles by bus in Panama and Costa Rica.
• 3 trips to the repair shop: CV Joint, Speedometer and Leaky Gas Tank
• We haven’t paid a cent in bribes so far which is unheard of in Central America.
• 4 trips to the hospital, 9 stitches, 1 broken bone
• We’ve been invited to stay at 5 friends’ house on our way to Panama. On our route home we have another 6 people willing to put us up for a few days on our way home.
• We’ve had more than 40,000 hits on our blog since we started, have posted 72 entries and received only 35 comments.
• We’ve taken 4500 pictures, deleted 2000 of them and have 2500 keepers.
• No serious sunburns.
• 1 family blowout
• 3 visitors
• Spent the night in 70 different cities
• 1 turn at karaoke
• Cheapest beer was 40 cents (in Panama).
• Most expensive beer was 3.00 (in Antigua, Guatemala).
• We came within 500 miles of the equator.

And most importantly we’ve had zero regrets and would do it all again in a heartbeat.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *