BootsnAll Travel Network



My Take on Taxco

Matthias and I agree on this – Taxco is one of the neatest cities we’ve seen in Mexico.  It did kind of suck that it took us so long to get there from Cuernavaca, but once we were there we were happy to be there.  We drove up through the mountains along long-windy roads and when we rounded the last corner Taxco appears in front of you.  The city is built into the mountain and reminded us on Monaco.  Instead of the typical grid-system the streets snake up and down the mountain.  All the buildings are painted white and red and you have some spectacular views of the surrounding mountains from the town.

Taxco      Taxco Streets at an Interesting Angle

 

When we first got there we drove through a lot of the town to find a parking garage.  Once we had parked we started wandering through the streets and peeked into a few churches.  We also stopped for lunch where we had the comida corrida.  (Comida corrida is a set meal that many restaurants offer.  It usually starts with soup and then is followed by a plate with rice, beans, maybe salad and one entrée.)  Matthias chose a pork chop that was really delicious and I ordered green enchiladas, which turned out to be the best green enchiladas I’ve ever had in my life.  We also had a really delicious home-made chicken soup.  It just couldn’t have been a nicer lunch. 

On the way home we decided to take the toll road for part of the way.  Luckily we were able to take just a small section that got us through the slowest section of road much faster.  We stopped for ice cream and then picked up our clothes from the laundry which had been folded so nicely and smelled so clean.  The day in Taxco and the drive home just went so smoothly and we all enjoyed it.

In Cuernavaca we had the number of a friend of a friend and got in touch with her.  We spent a very interesting evening with her and her daughter and her family.  It turns out Frances’ daughter had been to Seattle one Christmas to visit our friend Caroline.  Since Caroline and her family come over to our house for Christmas it was quite a coincidence when we realized that I had actually met Jade about 18 years ago.  They were a very interesting family and also world travelers.  Frances was born in the states and has lived there on and off, but she has lived in Mexico most of her life.  Jade was born in Mexico but also lived in Spain.  Her husband Vania was born in France, then lived in China and later moved to Mexico.  He has two native languages – Spanish and Russian (his mother was Russian) but also speaks amazing English and who knows how many other languages.  They have been thinking about doing a longer trip in South America and were very interested to hear our stories about traveling long-term with kids.  They let us stay in their guest room and we had a great Mexican dinner and a nice evening talking with them.

We spent 4 nights around Cuernavaca but it is time to move on.  Cuernavaca is just a bit south of our next destination – the largest city in the world: Mexico City.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *