BootsnAll Travel Network



Happy New You

Julian is now almost 2½ years old.  This morning sitting at the breakfast table he proudly announced “Happy New You!”  This wasn’t a reference to anyone’s New Year’s resolutions.  It is just the wonderful way in which kids learn to use language and occasionally get things a little mixed up.  I think it is a cross between “Happy Birthday to You” and “Happy New Year”. 

I started thinking about “Happy New You”.  Is there a new me these days?  Am I different from when we left Seattle?  I definitely speak a little more Spanish than I did.  I’m a lot tanner and also a bit thinner.  I’ve seen a whole lot of new things over the last 5 months that has made my world much larger. 

I think the major thing that is different in me now is what I think I’m capable of in my life.  The career goals I have, or really any feat I’ve encountered, is just a matter of solving obstacles.  We threw away our lives, got in our car and drove off towards the Panama Canal.  So far it couldn’t have gone better and when I look at how simple it can be, it makes me think I can conquer the world, or (for sure) tackle a few smaller obstacles such as change my profession or get my life on a track that leads to more satisfaction.  If only I can figure out what that path was.

New Years was a little different than I expected here.  We figured that there would be a great party in the center of town.  About 10:00 PM we headed out for the center of town only to find absolutely nothing.  In fact it was ominously deserted and we headed straight back home.  But the ‘hood we are staying in was chillin’ and there were at least a hundred Ticos (Costa Ricans) on the street, blasting music, shooting off their own private firework shows.  William and Julian woke up just before midnight and we all rang in the New Year on the streets in nice Costa Rican fashion. 

Tomorrow we’re off to Monteverde, one of the cloud forest reserves in Costa Rica.  Happy New You to everyone.



Tags: ,

One response to “Happy New You”

  1. Sue & Dave says:

    Hey Happy New Year all of you!nrnrMessage for Joyce and Dan…..there are two friendly faces and big hugs waiting for you back here at home! nrnrDave is busy at work in the woodshop sanding your bathroom sink surround! So, despite the backyard tree, at least something nice will be waiting when you return.nrnrSafe travels and we will see you soon! Our love,nrnrSue & Dave

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *