BootsnAll Travel Network



Driving In Managua

The day after our border crossings we decided to continue on to Leon.  We had heard that it is one of the prettiest towns in Nicaragua and ended up being completely disappointed.  To top it off we were pulled over by police controls twice a long the way.  Out of all the crappy hostels in Leon, we found the least crappy one and spend the night there.

 

The next day we decided to go to Managua.  We were supposed to meet our friend Cy at the airport on Friday and figured we’d just get their early and spend a few days in the city.  On the drive to Managua to we were pulled over 3 times at police controls.  At one of the stops we think they wanted to give us a ticket since our insurance card has expired.  We can’t seem to get a straight answer if car insurance is required or not.  Even if we had proof of car insurance, they’d find something else to give us a ticket for, I’m sure.  Matthias read a story of someone who got a ticket for having a dirty front license plate.  So, like I said, they’ll find something to fine you for if they want to.  We continued to play dumb and didn’t have to pay anything, although at one of the stops they actually wrote our license plate number down and mentioned something about a fine at the border when we exit Nicaragua.

 

The worst was driving in Managua.  To start off there are no street signs in Managua.  We had a rough map, which probably would have been sufficient if we were able to figure out what the names on any of the roads are.  You might think I am exaggerating, but I’m not.  There was not one single street sign in the entire city.  We had been driving around for hours trying to find the tourist information.  We thought we were getting close and Matthias went to make a U-turn at an intersection.  Unfortunately we had just made an illegal u-turn straight into another police control and the police woman waved us over to the side.  First we had to wait for her to finish purchasing Christmas decorations from the car in front of us before she came over to us to tell us what we had done wrong.  Matthias had made an illegal u-turn at this intersection and she seemed very concerned.  She first she gave us a long explanation of what the left lane was for, what the right lane was for, and where it was possible to change directions.  She just kept going on and on.  Matthias had seen a sign for a “Retorno” which is a place you can make a u-turn, but we apparently missed it.  Eventually she said that she wasn’t going to give us a ticket and was going to let us go.  We were both relieved, and in the end she seemed ok after all, so Matthias asked her how to get to the tourist information.  They tried to explain it to us, and they even drew a map, but finally she just said, “Ok, I’ll show you but you have to pay my cab back to my station here afterwards.”  It sounded good to us, so I got in the back with the kids and the policewoman got in our car and sat in front next to Matthias and started giving directions.

 

Apparently traffic cops can just leave their stations for a while whenever they want to.  She just left her partner there and off we went.  We showed her the map in our travel guide of where we wanted to go.  First she directed us to the other end of the city.  At this point I was glad she was there because we were no one near where we thought the tourist information was.  Matthias ran a red light, but there really is not better time to run a red light than when you’ve got a traffic cop riding shotgun in your car telling you where to go.  But then slowly we looped back around to the other side of the city, close to where we were made the illegal u-turn.  The policewoman had us stop to ask for directions twice, and that is when we realized she had no idea where she was going.  Next she suggested that we hail a cab, tell him where we want to go and then just follow him.  If that is what the policewoman wanted to do we weren’t about to argue.  We flag down a cab, Matthias gives her 10 dollars to pay for the cab and she gets in it.  We follow along and eventually we make it to the tourist information.  She waves Matthias over so he can pay for the cab.  Maybe she thought the 10 bucks were for her.  Matthias paid the cab and off she went, back to work, I guess.

 

After that experience, we figured the next day we’ll leave the car parked at the hotel and just take cabs around the city.  The woman at the tourist information told us of a mall with lots of rides for kids.  I needed a new bathing suit, so it sounded like it would be a great outing for us all.  In the cab Matthias asked the driver if he knew a place where we could get our cell phone unlocked.  (We bought a cell phone in Mexico that we thought would work in most countries in Central America.  It has the right frequencies, but unfortunately it is locked and only works in Mexico.  It has been his mission since we arrived in Guatemala to find someone that knows how to unlock our phone.)  The cab driver happened to know a place that could do this for us so we stopped.  After a bit of bartering on the fee, they gave it a shot, but weren’t successful.  We got back in the cab and we were off to the mall.  All of the sudden the driver stops on the side of the road.  “We have a small problem.  One moment.”  The taxi had run out of gas.  Matthias and I just looked at each other and laughed.  In the US taxis drivers make sure that have plenty of gas before they take passengers.  I think the taxi driver had been through this before because he quickly whipped out the gas canister out of the trunk and put a couple liters of gas in the tank.  We were back on the road within a few minutes.  We made a quick stop at the gas station and then it was off to the mall, which was a complete disappointment.  It was brand new and there were only about 3 stores.  Since it was a Thursday all the rides were shut off and there was nothing for the kids to do.  We made a quick stop at the grocery store and got another cab back to the hotel.

 

At this point we were ready to leave Nicaragua as fast a possible.  The police stops are so trying.  Driving in the capitol was terrible and we felt like all we wanted to do is get out of Nicaragua as soon as possible.  Today our friend was flying in from Seattle.  We asked how long it should take to get to the airport from hotel.  They said it was a 30 minute drive, so we left an hour and a half before his flight was supposed to leave since we figured we’d probably get lost and didn’t want to be late. 

 

Our luck seems to be changing here.  We actually found the airport within 30 minutes and arrived with an hour to spare.  Cy’s plane was on time, too.  We navigated our way out of Managua very well, headed toward Granada and weren’t pulled over at all.  We arrived in Granada and the town is beautiful.  I know this country has a lot to see, and I’m glad we are able to start enjoying some of its highlights.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Driving In Managua”

  1. Allison Roper says:

    Hi Bay Family,

    Wow am I glad I came across your site. I do hope this message finds you as I can’t find any other way to contact you. I am driving my two children, ages 8 & 10, in my Dodge caravan to Costa Rica. My good friend and her family are also going in her Eurovan. We each have children, a dog and my friends husband is willing to escourt us down. I have so many questions and would love to speak to you via email or phone, which ever is convient. So many of our friends and family are extremly frightened about the idea of us attempting this trip. I know it can be done safely, even with small children. We are leaving Idaho, our current location, on Sept. 1 or 2, 2008. I just found your site so have not read all the entries. Any advice as far as cities to stay and dos and don’ts would be fantastic! I just knew this trip is worth it and your site has renewed my faith in an adventure of a lifetime! Please contact me if you have the time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *