BootsnAll Travel Network



What will we miss?

We leave tomorrow ISA (for our non-Egyptian friends, that means in sha’allah, or “God willing”) to return to the familiar world of American strip malls, pizza by the slice, and coffee-to-go. I’m already waxing nostalgic about Cairo…so what will we miss about Cairo?

1. In the morning, the sound of a man’s voice calling out his produce for sale from his donkey cart in the street below.

2. The rush I feel when I weave through traffic, cars brushing past me, on the Corniche.

3. Knowing that the Nile (the Nile!) is just two blocks away.

4. Juicy, red tomatoes all year long from my local market.

5. How easy it is to walk out my door and see buildings that are 800 years old.

6. Riding in a taxi which seems to be held together with string.

7. The happy horn honk (beeeeeep-beeeeeep-beep-beep-beep) when a wedding caravan cruises by, or when Ahly wins a soccer game, or when someone just feels happy.

8. The routine of eating dinner at 10pm and going to bed at 2am every night.

Tags: , ,



One Response to “What will we miss?”

  1. Nesrine Says:

    You will surely be missed! nrKeep up the great spirit and the adventure! nrnrAnd see you soon inshallah! You drank from the Nile (one way or another 🙂 so you will come back!

    Your Egyptian friend

  2. Brian R. Says:

    Hey, Chris directed me to your blog. Looks like you two have been up to adventures. Where will you be living stateside?

    If you pass through Seattle I’d like to introduce you to my wife and daughter.

    Also, Anderson, AK is giving away land to those who want to settle.

    http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=188935

    Take care,

    Brian R.

  3. Posted from United States United States
  4. diaspora head Says:

    oh no! well certainly hope that you can come again. I don’t know you guys but i have found your blog most entertaining and i love the fact that you guys think outside of the box.

    Safe flight back to the States and thanks for doing your bit for international relations! 🙂 hope you can come to egypt soooooon!

  5. Mak Says:

    Well, you better keep this blog going one way or another. But reading through your older stuff I have a feeling you’ll be taking on new adventures some time soon

    Where you guys from in the States btw?

  6. dez Says:

    welcome home. you’ll miss egypt, but not as much as we missed you!

  7. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply