BootsnAll Travel Network



Siwa Oasis, Day Two

Day two in Siwa we rented bikes and rode through the oasis visiting historical ruins, as well as a little aimless wandering.

biking in siwa
We rode about 27 kilometers on a one-speed bike by the end of the day and are still paying for it everytime we try to sit down…

temple of the oracle
The Temple of the Oracle dates from at least the 6th century B.C., perhaps earlier, however it’s power and influence had waned by 49 B.C.

hieroglyphics
Down the street from the oracle are the ruins of the Temple of Amum where we saw these inscriptions on the wall.

cleopatra's bath
Siwa has numerous hot and cold springs; this spring is named “Cleopatra’s Bath,” because she is rumored to have bathed here.

old shali at sunrise
The 13th century town of Old Shali is the centerpiece of the current town. The old town was built like a fortress on top of a hill, with buildings that originally stood four or five stories high. Made of mud and salt, the city was abandoned after a three-day rainstorm in 1926.

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Siwa Oasis, Day Two”

  1. The Other Mom Says:

    I love the Cleopatra’s Bath photo. Only in Florida have I ever found these colors in the water which are so fantastic and hard to really get into a photo.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Mum Says:

    Ditto to Other Mom. That picture took my breath away. Beautiful!

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply