BootsnAll Travel Network



Siwa Oasis, Day One

We just returned from three days in the Siwa Oasis in western Egypt to see the Libyan desert. It’s a million miles away from the Egypt I know – the Egypt where smoggy, noisy, crowded Cairo is the center of everything. In Siwa, Cairo doesn’t seem to exist. In fact, nothing seems exists outside of the green oasis of palm trees, hot springs, and donkey carts.

alexander road
The bus ride from Cairo to Marsa Matrouh and on to our final destination, the Siwa Oasis, is a long 9 – 12 hours through a lonely, flat, and sandy landscape. We barreled along in a deluxe bus down the same highway that Alexander the Great traveled in 331 BC in order to consult the Temple of the Oracle in the oasis.

dunes
The Siwa Oasis is on the edge of the Great Sand Sea in the Libyan desert. We took a 4×4 trip out into the sea – we didn’t have to go very far to feel very far away. We think perhaps it’s the farthest we’ve ever been from a McDonald’s, but we’ll have to confirm that.

on top of the car
Come on – would you be able to resist climbing to the top of the car? No way!

white dunes
My guess is that this is a good example of seif dunes, meaning “sword” in Arabic. Besides miles and miles and miles of dunes, we found fossils in the sand, a reminder that millions of years ago we would have been sailing, rather than 4×4’ing.

surfin dunes.JPG
D goes for some dune surfing, sans sandboard.

jump from car
Our guide takes the quick way down from on top of the 4×4.

guide tea
Ibrahim, our guide and driver, makes us some extremely sweet tea, with mint

gettea
Tea? Did somebody say tea? With mint? Watch out! I’m comin to get some!

us at the desert
Sunset in the Libyan desert. Sigh.

Stay tuned for Day 2 when we visit the Temple of the Oracle and ride bikes till we can’t sit anymore.

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Siwa Oasis, Day One”

  1. Mum Says:

    Your picture of the sand dunes looks very much like an Ansel Adams photo that he took at Death Valley National Monument, California, entitled “Sand Dunes, Sunrise”, c. 1948. In black and white, of course. Dunes make wonderful shadows and subject matter.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. The Other Mom Says:

    I was really glad to see that you had a guide. It occurred to me that you might get lost in the desert! The photos are lovely, really lovely. There must be a job waiting for you with National Geographic.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Cairogal Says:

    Stunning, stunning images. You’ve seen a lot of the great things Egypt has to offer.

  6. admin Says:

    Thanks everyone for your kind comments on our photos. It’s been a lot of fun to take photos in Egypt because everything is interesting and new to me.

    Once we get back to DC I’m sure I’ll put the camera back in the closet. LOL

Leave a Reply