BootsnAll Travel Network



Favorites in Cairo

There’s a lot to see and do in Cairo, so how to prioritize? After eight months in Cairo, here’s what I will remember most fondly in this fantastic city, in no particular order and excluding the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum, both which shouldn’t be missed, as well as the Citadel, which I never actually visited.

1. Felucca ride on the Nile
Felucca
Walk down the Corniche and you’ll quickly find someone willing to take you for an hour-long sit on the Nile. It’ll cost you about 40 LE ($7), plus a tip. Bring along some juice and a picnic, enough to share with the felucca captain.

2. Townhouse Gallery
The Townhouse Gallery in downtown Cairo usually exhibits work by local artists related to regional issues. My favorite recent exhibit was about the migration of people from North Africa to Europe. Get on their email list to learn about current exhibits, concerts, plays, workshops, etc. They also have a great gift shop with books, handmade jewelry, and art.
townhouse gallery
The Townhouse Gallery is located in a somewhat renovated 19th century building with tall, shuttered windows and wrought-iron balconies.

3. Lectures at the American University in Cairo
AUC hosts numerous free lectures and events related to Middle East issues that are open to the public. For most lectures, bring your ID (driver’s license comes in handy for this) and be prepared to leave it at the gate, depending on the mood of the security guard. The lectures are always very informative and usually provide endless entertainment during the Q & A period, often used by audience members to expound on their own personal thoughts about US-Iraeli relations, regardless of the lecture topic, until the moderator is brave enough to intervene.

4. Al Azhar Park
Perfect place to listen to the call to prayer in surround-sound and view the sunset over Cairo or, if the sky is clear, over the Pyramids.
al azhar sunset

5. Mosque of Ibn Tulun
Although located in a densely populated and noisy section of town, once you step into the mosque you won’t hear a thing from the outside world. The solitude and simplicity of the architectural patterns are just what is needed to escape Cairo, while still remaining in Cairo.
courtyard

6. Beyt as-Suhaymi
A gorgeous Ottoman-style home you can visit and spend hours in wandering through the rooms and courtyards. A nice way to spend a few quiet hours in the middle of the hubbub of Islamic Cairo.
Room

7. The Makan
The Egyptian Center for Culture and Art (ECCA) promotes traditional Egyptian music every Tuesday and Wednesday night at The Makan, just a block from the Saad Zaghloul metro stop. Cost of the show is 20 LE. Check out the recent Daily Star Egypt article about Wednesday night’s music by Mazaher Ensemble.
makan

8. The Sawy Culturewheel in Zamalek
There’s music here most nights of the week and it really runs the gamat from hiphop to classical oud, heavy metal to traditional bedouin hits. And, the main hall is located under a bridge next to the Nile – how cool is that?
WAMA
Pop supergroup WAMA woos the crowd, crooning “Habibi, habibi!”

9. Night-time taxi ride across the city
I loooove zooming across the flyovers late at night in Cairo, looking out on the city lights and the streets teaming with shoppers. Closest thing to feeling like you’re flying.
Ataba

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Favorites in Cairo”

  1. diaspora head Says:

    hi,

    i came across your blog by accident but a lovely accident it has been. Beautiful photos you have there and they really capture the spirit of Egypt. This is one of the rare foreign blogs that looks at Egypt without comparing convenience and economics but rather the country’s rich culture.

    I hope you enjoyed your stay in my country and it would love to have you back again

  2. admin Says:

    Thanks for the kind comments. We are certainly sad to be leaving Cairo and can’t wait for the chance to return again.

Leave a Reply