BootsnAll Travel Network



Delightful travel treasures

crust
Traveling around the world, everyday you hope to see something like this. In Japan, the abuse of English was so rampant it spawned books and intentionally goofy t-shirts. It was so prevalent that it became mundane. But everywhere else the eyes are always looking for that one thing. The perfect souvenir. The thing that combines the familiar and the exotic, and makes you laugh. Some people travel the world without finding the post-modern hipster Holy Grail. We found just such an object in Cairo at the local grocery. Crust. It even whitens and comes with a free toothbrush.

And here are some other everyday objects that may be of interest:
money
This is the front and back of a 20 pound note. In Egyptian Arabic they are not called pounds, they are called ginees. Presumably from the British colonial influence. All of the money seems to have been in circultation since the early 1900s. It’s torn, oily, soft, and often is held together with tape.

keypad
S’s cell phone has Arabic letters on the keypad. How cool is that!

customs
This is the customs slip that took us two hours to get in Nuweiba. It is scrawled on the back of an actual customs form, torn in half.

Tags: ,



One Response to “Delightful travel treasures”

  1. Mark Says:

    ‘Crust’ does not inspire brushing.

    Is the money full of holes like Indian Rupees?

    And how’s that texting in Arabic coming?

Leave a Reply