BootsnAll Travel Network



Leaving One Overseas Home for Another

Remember when I said that I’d be traveling until the money ran out? Well, the money ran out. (But I’m still not returning to the US!)

As usual, my blog is a little behind–I’m in Cairo now, but I will leave Egypt at 2:45PM today for Italy. Matteo and I will be housesitting in Rome (another reason why I love dating an Italian man) for the winter and, inshallah, earning some euros to continue our trip through the Middle East in the spring and, probably more importantly, pay for our eventual flight home to the US.

I’ve been to Italy with Matteo twice before, and know the house in Rome well, so I feel a little like I’m coming home. I’m looking forward to eating good Italian meals (and learning to properly cook said meals), walking around the Colosseum and other amazing sites, taking side trips to France and Switzerland to practice my French (only $75 roundtrip from Rome on RyanAir!), brushing my teeth with tap water, shopping at stores with fixed prices, cleaning my clothes in washers and dryers, and, more mundanely, having time and a quiet space to finally finish my pesky graduate school applications.

In the next few days, I’ll post stories from Bahariyya and wrap up my thoughts on Egypt. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving to my American family and friends. Enjoy your turkey and pumpkin pie, and all of those tasty foods that, despite the promise of a dinner with mozzarella and prosciutto, I’m going to sorely miss today.



Tags: , , , ,

-1 responses to “Leaving One Overseas Home for Another”

  1. Tracy says:

    I hope you’re enjoying your time in Rome. I’m so jealous!! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

    We missed you at Thanksgiving. Can we mail you a pumpkin pie? 😉

    Love,
    Tracy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *