BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangalore/Mangalore – The Animal Kingdom

While my reception from the fathers and brothers here has been nothing short of wonderful, the welcome I got from our animal friends has been, shall we say, mixed?

We’re surrounded by animals here, from the ones kept as pets to the wild ones, of all sizes, in the area.  On arrival at Bangalore, I was immediately introduced to three cages with pets in – two white rats, which I’ve yet to be brave enough to hold, a parrot which took an instant dislike to me and squawks like a banshee whenever I pass, and a cage of budgies.  I’ve been tempted to free them like I did to my pet bird when I was a toddler, but have managed to resist so far.  Elsewhere in the grounds here at Bangalore there are dogs (kept chained and again, bark like anything when I go past), and some pigs which are kept for food.  One of them has just had piglets, which are completely adorable, but the brothers are encouraged not to get too friendly, which makes sense if one day they’ll be eating Babe Curry.

As my family know (mainly because if I suffer I have a complete inability to do it in silence, and have to inform everyone in the near vicinity), mosquitoes see me as a bit of a walking buffet, and will happily ignore everyone else to come and take a bite out of me.  This was proved for sure on my first Friday night here.  I’d been for a walk with the nuns round the area, and we’d arrived back just in time to sit in the garden to watch a wonderful, creative, thought-provoking stations of the cross passion play put on by a group of the brothers here.  Typical of me, this was the one occasion when I’d forgotten to put my trusty jungle-strength mossie repellant on.  I felt a couple of bites during the play, but managed to convince myself it was only a couple, and I can live with that.  How wrong I was.  The next day I woke up to find more than 50 bites on my legs alone, my arms were covered, all round my back – I could make out from the bites exactly where my clothes ended and I began.  They’d feasted plenty on me.  Perhaps I taste foreign and exotic to Indian mosquitoes?  True to form, no-one else had a single bite.

After a couple of weeks here, I went to the house that the order owns in Mangalore, over on the West coast.  It was fabulous getting to know the smaller community there as well, and have made some more firm friends.  As we approached, I was told about the community dog, whom they call Puppy even though she’s now getting on a bit.  “She barks a lot but don’t worry, she won’t bite you”. Hmm, I thought, I’ve heard that one before, usually as the dog is running off with a chunk out of my leg.  However, on this occasion it was, fortunately, true.  Puppy is a sweet old thing.  She has a permanent shake to her front leg where she had a bad injection, and a rather pitiful howl, but she is friendly and loyal, and puts up with teasing from the brothers.  I got a fit of the giggles one night, we were sitting outside for night prayers, when Puppy decided now was the time to come up and play with Manohar.  He was lovely and polite, and kept pushing her away gently, telling her to “come back later”.

Other animals we encountered in Mangalore were less friendly.  On the first night we were here, Fr Austin (an old friend, my parish priest from 15 years ago who was, by wonderful coincidence, here at the same time as me) was being walked back to his room by Samuel and Manohar.  After they’d left him there, the brothers were wandering back and saw a cobra in the path, ready to strike.  They were very calm and quick-thinking, got some stones and killed it.  Since then, I’ve been paranoid about walking outside at night, and always take a brave-looking brother with me wherever I go.  Like a bodyguard.  I was also very brave in Mangalore and went swimming in the salty, warm sea, despite my fear of sharks and spotting a jellyfish on the beach.  Yay for me!

The latest additions to the fold are two white rabbits, a gift from a convent in the hill station of Gudalur.  I have a feeling they may go the way of the pigs and end up in Bugs Bunny Curry, so I’m not getting too attached to them.  Watch this space!



Tags: ,

4 responses to “Bangalore/Mangalore – The Animal Kingdom”

  1. Mike Rolston says:

    Hey Suze

    Are you following a trail of monasteries as I am intrigued by all these religious references?

    Best regards

    Mike & Sheila

  2. Michael says:

    Sorry to hear about the mozzy bites. Hopefully you’ve been slapping the repellant on in extra doses since. I hadn’t realised quite how close you’d be to the wildlife either. What I really want to know though is did the Cobra make it to the curry pot?

    Caroline and I had a really relaxing day on Monday for her birthday. I made Chocolate Clafoutis with Caramelised Oranges and it was delicious. Definitely one to make again when you next get round to paying us a visit.

    Love you lots,
    Michael

  3. Paul says:

    Hi Suze,

    Being the generous soul that you are, you should consider the mosquito bites as ‘giving something back to the Indian Insect Community’

    Hearing about the animals, both pets and wild, is fascinating although I can sense Lou cringing as she reads about the cobra!!

    Take care.

    Paul x

    P.S. England are finally looking like securing a ‘one day’ win against the Indians as I type so it looks like you haven’t completely cursed them!!

  4. Auntie Rosemary says:

    Hi Suze: Lovely to read your latest instalment. Must admit I think you’re being very brave so far!! Must be nice to meet up with Fr. Austin again – how long is he going to be in India I wonder? They’ll all miss you (as we are) when you leave I’m sure. Wonder how your mum and Irene are getting on? Enjoy it all……. lots of love – God Bless
    Auntie Rosemary x

  5. angela says:

    Hi Suze, good to read about your escapades
    although i do worry about you. Glad that you are surrounded by the brothers and the nuns
    They all sound lovely to be with. It is nice that you have met up with Fr Austin , it is nice to see a familiar face when you are abroad, although you have been made most welcome haven’t you?
    Sorry about the mosquitoe bites, hope they are not harmful.
    Have you any more photos for us to view?
    I look forward to seeing them, bye for now and God take care of you love Angela xxx

  6. Claire-Louise says:

    One mosquito bite zapper on its way out to you Suze with Dave next week. its great, you just zap it over the spot you’ve been bittten( sorry but it doesn’t protect you from being bitten!!) it really stops the pain and the itching!!! If you think of anything you need let us know and we can send it via Dave. Good job its a male travelling out to India else there wouldn’t be a spare inch in a females suitcase!! It still amazes me (especially after Spain and Dublin!) how you are managing with just a backpack for the next year!!!! Will be missing you on Easter Sunday. I’ll e-mail you with the Easter Egg Hunt pictures!! Lots of love C L x xx x

  7. Austin Hughes says:

    Dear Suzanne
    hope you enjoyed Gudallur. back in Blighty today, I miss the warmth, the monkeys and the elephants. Great to see you last week.
    God bless and love
    Austin

  8. Mum says:

    Hi Suze, Since we arrived in China this is our first opportunity to seek out an internet cafe. Our China experience has been just fantastic and hopefully on our return we’ll update the rhianva site with all our tales (well most of them). We’re travelling with a great group consisting of 18 in all and various ages ranging from 21 years to 75 years. Our group leader, Neil has been great and really helpful.

    Delighted to read you are still well and enjoying India. I’ll catch up with all your news once I’m back in the UK. Until then stay safe and have a wonderful Easter.

    Love you lots. Mum.

    Irene sends her love to you too.

  9. Caroline says:

    Hi Suze

    Swimming in the sea?!?!? can’t believe it – have you conquered your fear of sharks? Well done you though, I’m very impressed!

    Thanks for your birthday wishes. I had a lovely day – was truly spoilt. There was a bit of a chocolate theme running – Mike baked the most delicious chocolate clafoutis (warm goopy chocolate cake) and bought me a chocolate fountain – mmmmmmmmmm! Heaven! I’ve started training for the Race for Life, so now feel that chocolate can become a more regular addition to my diet ;o)

    Take care – your trip so far sounds like so much fun!

    lots of love and hugs
    C
    xx

  10. Gabrielle says:

    Hi suzie I typed this message just say how much we miss you.Today is the 15 in April which means it`s EASTER TOMMOROW to bad you can`t join us miss you loads lots of love from Gabixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  11. Anna says:

    Wow!

    Now you totally have my admiration – not that you didn’t before!

    I’m a total wimp when it comes to spiders, so am very impressed with how brave you are being!

    Glad things are still going well and that you sound so happy.

    Sarah’s wedding is the day after tomorrow – getting nervous about the singing which you have left me to do ON MY OWN!! Only joking – I’m sure you’ll be thinking about her lots.

    Take care my travelling friend and remember we love and miss you lots!

    xxx

  12. Sarah says:

    Wow! How brave are you?! Never thought I’d ever hear that you’d been in the sea, what with the sharks and all!! I see a new, improved hero-type Suzie emerging!

    Big day tomorrow! Eek. A bit nervy now. It was so wonderful to hear your voice earlier – it means so much that you called. We’ll be in touch as soon as we can after to fill you in and we’ll be thinking of you.
    Love you lots,
    Sarah