BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangalore – Getting to know you

My first few days in Bangalore fell into a happy routine. I’d wake up either naturally at about 7 o’clock, or would be forced awake by the really loud music they play at the crack of dawn – it’s a wonderful tradition here that I’ve not seen anywhere else, I think I’m going to persuade my parish priest back in Leigh to take up this habit. Alarm clock, India style!

By the time I’m up and ready, the brothers and fathers here have just about finished their morning prayers, and so I’m greeted by many smiling faces and “Good Morning”s. So polite, so friendly, so wonderful. Breakfast then follows at 8 o’clock, it’s different every day so can be anything from omelettes to porridge. I’m waited on hand and foot, if any of the brothers see me taking my plate to wash it they near on rip it out of my hands to insist they do it for me. I feel like the most honoured guest.

After breakfast, at 9 o’clock, I have my first class of the day – either first or second years, a mix of ages, mostly in their early 20’s. The last few days I have been concentrating in particular on three brothers (Agustine, Ravi, and Anthony), who have got their exam coming up. As well as cramming essays and letters, which they will have to write, we’ve also been studying conversational English, and I’ve taught them some gems – it’s a real giggle to hear one of them say “I’m gasping for a nice cup of tea”, or, when I ask how they are feeling in the morning, for one of them to reply “Full of beans”.

I’m free until lunch, so take my time to read my book, listen to my music (they’re all fascinated by my ipod), or chat with whoever’s around and has finished their jobs – they have set duties, and all work really hard to keep their home a pleasant place to stay. A delicious lunch is then served – because it’s Lent at the moment we’re eating a lot of fish, usually with rice and vegetables from the garden, with fruit (again from the garden) to finish. It’s really good here, and lovely to eat as part of a community.

In the afternoons, I’ve been spending a couple of hours with some sisters who are studying at a local college. They’re ever so sweet, and have taken lots of pride in showing me round the area, and took me to the hostel where they stay during term time. I’ve found in general, Indian people are incredibly delighted to welcome you to their homes, and insist on you sitting down and having a cup of tea, and preferably some tiffin (a snack).

I’m free after about 4pm until evening prayers, just before dinner at 8pm. More of the same… plenty of good, tasty food, all served up for me. After our evening meal, it’s free time until I go to bed, and, although there’s a tv, I’m loving playing cards with some of the brothers, even though I hardly ever win.

It’s amazing how I feel right at home here.  The title of this post, incidentally, is a reference to the King and I – if you still don’t understand, google to find the link!



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Bangalore – Getting to know you”

  1. Michael and Caroline says:

    Hi Suze,

    We’ve had a bit of a chuckle this morning at the conversational English you’ve been teaching your students. We thought you could start to add a few regional ones in as well. How about these Geordie ones to get you started…

    Instead of asking someone if they are hard of hearing, they should enquire “Are you a bit corned beef?” (Corned beef = deef or deaf!)

    On commenting on the temperature, one could remark”It’s a bit George and Andy.” (George and Andy from Wham, or Warm!)

    I just hope you aren’t teaching them any of mum’s conversational phrases, otherwise they’ll be getting odd looks when they state that the “sky is your oyster”.

    Love you lots,
    Michael and Caroline

  2. angela says:

    Hi Suze, I take it you are staying at some sort of a Monastery with mentioing Brothers
    and Fathers. As usual, i am enjoying your stories.It’s great when you can meet someone like you who can enjoy everything that life has to offer.
    It is nice of the Sisters to take you round and
    about. It must also give you a spiritual uplift
    staying there.I would love it!
    You sound very confident in your teaching job.keep us informed, won’t you
    How are you getting on with your Indian language.Are you able to communicate OK
    in the shops etc? take care and God bless
    love from Angela xxx